Ready, Set, Zap!: Dawn's POV

Start from the beginning

"I've got three. This will be my last one to qualify," I replied slowly as I tilted my face and smiled as the shimmery makeup sparkled.

"Nice, except this is going to be MY last one," Traavi declared and as I glanced up at him I saw he was grinning with a competitive look in his eyes.

"You beat me at Wela Volcano, but I won't let it happen again," I retorted teasingly, quirking one eyebrow up at him. To my surprise, he reach out and pinched my nose.

"You are really cute when you talk back to me, Dawn," he said with an adoring expression.

I felt my cheeks heat up and batted away his hand before rubbing the tip of my nose. I wish Paul would tell me I'm cute, I thought wistfully and turned away, trying to keep my cheeks from flaming up at the thought.

"After I win this showdown how about I travel with you to the next showdown and give you some tips?" 

I blinked into the mirror and then turned to look at Traavi to see him smiling confidently down at me.

"Sorry, Traavi. Even if you do win, I'm already traveling with someone," I replied and his confident smile dropped into a straight line.

"Oh yah? Is it a guy?" he asked casually and I nodded, turning away from him and beginning to carefully apply some eyeliner. "It's not that purple-haired guy from the Hano Beach showdown, is it?" 

I flinched and frowned as the eyeliner smudged a little.

"His name is Paul, and yes. You were standing with him at that showdown, weren't you?" I asked as I repaired the damage.

"He seemed like a grumpy jerk. Why are you traveling with a guy like him?" Traavi asked and I glared up at him.

"Why do you care?" I asked, not sure why I was so annoyed. I called Paul grumpy all the time, but for some reason hearing it from someone else made me feel defensive.

"Because..." Traavi glanced down at me and I waited for him to continue but he blew out a breath from his nostrils and shook his head. "I'm glad you didn't give up on showdowns after the wipe out."

I blinked at the change of topic and thought back to how close I came to giving up not only showdowns, but contests too. If Paul hadn't found me and convinced me to try to get stronger, I probably would be back in Sinnoh now lost and unsure of what to do with my life.

"Thank you. Good luck with your performance today." 

Traavi locked eyes with me and it seemed like he was trying to communicate something to me without using words. The look went away after a few seconds though and I flinched as he reached out and stroked my cheek with the back of his knuckles.

"All the luck I need is to see your beautiful face," he said with a wink and I rolled my eyes.

"You really are a playboy," I scoffed and turned away but I smiled when he laughed. 

He left shortly after that and I finished my makeup. Traavi was called first for his performance and I wasn't surprised to see him choose his Marowak and Braviary for his performance partners. As always he performed a powerful dance routine and I watched how his pokemon were able to stay in sync with him but still create spectacular effects with their moves.

When he came back from his performance he was once again surrounded by performers congratulating him and I was surprised when a few minutes later he came to sit next to me to watch the next performance. He didn't try to flirt with me this time, but he would comment every once in a while on the performers. When it was my turn he wished me luck and I thanked him, not sure if he wanted to be my friend or if he was just waiting for another chance to flirt.