Is This Goodbye?: Dawn's POV

A/N Thanks to the FANTASTIC idea of elliee0299 there is going to be a never before seen eeveelution in this chapter ;) The artwork was done by an EXTREMELY talented Deviantart artist named  j7663701. I hope you enjoy the chapter :D 

My alarm went off and I instantly reached out to turn it off, glancing over worriedly to see if I had woken up Paul. He muttered something under his breath and rolled onto his back, but then his breathing quieted and he seemed to fall back to sleep. I sighed in relief and laid back down on my bed, stroking Eevee's sleeping form gently as I thought back to what happened last night.

Eevee woke me up in the middle of the night and I was barely able to see anything, but by her hushed whimpering, I knew something was wrong. The sound of a deep moan caused me to sit up instantly. My eyes weren't adjusted to the dark yet but I had cautiously slid off my mattress and made my way over to Paul. He'd been muttering under his breath and sounded like he was in pain. 

Not knowing what to do I had sat on the edge of his bed and tried to shake him awake, almost losing my nerve when I realized that he was shirtless. But he continued to groan and mutter incoherently and I couldn't leave him like that. When he eventually woke up he had seemed panicked and I did my best to calm him down. After he fell back asleep it had taken several hours for me to follow his example.

I wonder what he was dreaming about, I thought sadly as my eyes traveled over to his sleeping figure. 

His bangs had been trimmed but they still hung just above his eyes and it took almost every ounce of self-control not to walk over and brush my fingers through them. Obviously I had recognized when I first bumped into him on the cruise ship to Alola that he was attractive... but it was Paul. Paul, the trainer who bullied and abused his pokemon when we were kids. Ash's rival who stomped over him more times than I could count. But now as I looked at him... I realized that there was a lot more to Paul than I had once thought. I wanted to know more. To be closer to him.

"Oh, Eevee. I think I'm in trouble," I whispered.

Eevee's ears twitched. She blinked her eyes slowly and turned her head slightly so she could look at me then mewed quietly. I smiled down at her and stroked her soft head.

"I didn't mean to wake you, I'm sorry," I whispered.

Eevee's ears twitched and she turned from me, looking over at Paul on the other bed.

"Evoy ee?" she said with a sad little frown and I shook my head slightly.

"I don't know," I said with a sigh. 

Eevee blinked and then stood up, prompting me to remove my hand from her head and I watched as she jumped off my bed and then leaped up onto Paul's. She padded over the mattress to look at his face and sniffed him, causing him to scrunch his eyes and turn away from her cold nose.

"Eevee, don't..." I said, sliding off my bed and tiptoeing over to Paul's bed. 

Just as I was about to pull Eevee away from Paul he raised one of his arms and rubbed his eyes, blinking a few times before turning and looking at first Eevee and then up to me. I felt my cheeks heat up as he stared at me for several seconds without any kind of expression. Feeling ridiculous I broke eye contact with him and gently scooped Eevee into my arms.

"Sorry. She was worried about you,' I whispered, flicking my eyes back to his to find that he was still looking at me but his eyes seemed dull and emotionless. Biting my bottom lip I glanced away and Eevee mewed sadly down at Paul.

"Do you... want to talk about it?" I asked hesitantly.

Paul finally looked away from me, pulling himself into a sitting position and I tried not to notice his flexing abs.