Chapter 17: The Arrow Goes Boom

I walked over to the scepter, glancing at it as it gave off strange readings on the gamma ray reading screens. 

        Cap and Tony were still fighting, which wasn't really s surprise since they hate each other so. "Back off." Steve ordered.

        "I'm starting to want you to make me." Tony growled, not a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

        But Rogers stood his ground. "Big man in a suit of armor. Take that off, what are you?"

        "Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist." Tony stated and I nodded, that was exactly what I told Clint.

        "I know guys with none of that worth ten of you." Cap growled, stepping forward. "I've seen the footage. The only thing you really fight for is yourself. You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you."

        Tony just smirked as I nodded. I knew how Tony was, ever since day one. Especially when I helped work on his suit with him. "I think I would just cut the wire."

        "Always a way out. You know, you may not be a threat, but you better stop pretending to be a hero."

        "A hero? Like you? You're a lab experiment, Rogers. Everything special about you came out of a bottle." I begin to glare at Tony. If that's the way he felt...

        "Put on the suit." Steve growls. "Let's go a few rounds."

        Thor laughed. "You people are so petty... And tiny."

        "You already said that." I grumble, moving in between Tony and Steve.

        "Yeah, this is a team." Banner cut in and Tony pushed me out of the way.

        I growled and took control of his body, moving him away from Steve. "You backing down?" Steve calls out and I release Tony, regaining control of my body, which Thor had to catch suddenly when I phased. 

        "Agent Romanoff, would you please escort Dr. Banner back to-"

        "Where?" Banner interrupted. "My room? You rented my room."

        "The cell was just in case-"

        Banner interrupted again. "You needed to kill me." The words hung there in the air, which became as think as glue. "But you can't. I know I tried." Banner took a moment as everyone just stared at him. "I got low. I didn't see an end. So I put a bullet in my mouth and the other guy spit it out. So I moved on. I focused on helping people. I was good. Until you dragged me into this freak show and put everyone else in danger. You want to know my secret, Agent Romanoff? You want to know how I stay calm?"

        "Dr. Banner. Put down the scepter." Cap said slowly and he glanced down at his hand, noticing it. I was about to take over his body, but when I tried, the Hulk just pushed me out.

        The computer beeped suddenly, showing that it had a 95% match for the Tessarect.  

        "Sorry, kids, you don't get to see my party trick after all." Banner placed the scepter back down on the lab table, going over to where the Tessarect was supposed to be. 

        "Where is it?" I questioned. "We need to retrieve it soon."

        "The Tessarect belongs to Asgard." Thor proclaimed, looking at me. "No human-"

        "I'll go after it." Tony proclaims before I can hear Clint suddenly, in the comm's unit. 

        "No. No no no no no!" I cry out, racing out of the room, not hearing them still bickering. I don't make it out of the room, though, before a giant explosion rocks the whole carrier, and alarms started blaring. The floor of the lab dropped under the group, Natasha and Banner falling through, Stark and Rogers going onto a lower level as they fell, Thor was nowhere in sigh, and Fury had been blasted out into the hallway. I was just hanging onto the edge of the floor, legs dangling down before I crawled up, a long scar going up my right arm. I grimace as I climb up, Fury heading to the bridge as I tried to catch my breath. I could hear him, talking to his team, while I could also hear Fury and Hill, along with the whole team. 

        "Hill!" Fury called out and I winced at the shout. 

        "External detonation. Number Three engine is down." Hill answered and I raced over to the engines, stumbling as other agents ran to and fro, running into me occasionally.

        "Clint." I whisper. "What are you doing?"

        "Somebody's got to get outside and patch that engine." Hill continued.

        "Stark! Can you get out there?" I questioned and he came onto the comm's.

        "I'm on it." Tony said. "Engine Three. I'll meet you there." He was probably talking to Steve.

        "Summers, I need you guarding Loki. We can not afford to let him go. Get to that detention area!" Fury commanded and I switched paths, racing down to the detention area.

        I got there and I sighed in relief when I saw that Loki was still in his cell. "Thank the heavens." I whisper, out of breath. "What did you do?" I questioned him and he just shrugged. "You must've planned all of this. Getting captured, pitting us against each other. And now this? What is your plan?"

        "Ah, Agent Barton, how lovely of you to join us." Loki interrupts and I quickly to turn to almost get smacked in the face with the edge of his bow. I duck though, and bend backwards, before I quickly hook my feet on his bow and tug, making him hit the glass of the cell, me sliding in between his legs. He glances back at me and cocks an arrow. It fires at me and I swiftly grab its shaft in my hand and halt it, tossing it over to the railway as Clint just watched me for a moment. He gave me enough time, though, to formulate a plan. This plan, which was very short, was of using my momentum and speed against him. I jumped up onto the railing of the walkway we were on, running carefully until I could get on Clint's back, trying to disengage his weapon's system completely, but he grabbed me and threw me off, me rolling on the metal floor. I gaze up at him, trying to find the man I knew, but he wasn't there. It was just someone. A stranger. He still knew me. He just didn't care. 

        "Clint, listen to me." I mumble, rolling out of the way as he stabbed down at me with an arrow he pulled from his quiver. It instead slammed into the railing, me kicking him in the chest to push him away, but he grabbed my foot and spun me into the door of the cell, where Loki was watching with gleaming eyes. I lay there, crumpled against the door as pain radiated through my body. 

        But then my body was off of the floor, held aloft by the hand on my neck, squeezing at my windpipe. I claw at Clint's hand, trying to get in some air, but he was very thorough. I kick at him, but he barely seems to realize it. So, I try to phase into him again, and even got a little leeway from the magic. I made him drop me before I phased back, pulling out my gun and aiming it at him. "Would you really do it, Agent Summers?" Loki questions me and I try to block him out. 

        "Clint, please don't make me do this." I cry out, cocking the gun as Clint tried to disarm me, and he cocked an arrow at me, both of us aiming at each other. "Clint, I know you can hear me. I know you know who I am, so why are you doing this?"

        "He doesn't exactly know what he is doing. He just sees you as another target." Loki scoffs and I growl.

        "I'm not a target for him though."

        "But you are mine, so you are his. Simple as that." 

        "I can change his mind." 

        One of the other agents opens the door to Loki's cell and he steps out, walking right past me as I'm distracted, and Clint disarms me before firing the bullet right into my thigh, slamming the hilt of it down on my head, and kicking me into the cell as I fall unconscious.