Chapter 12: Recruiting

I watched the super soldier as he punched the punching bag again and again until it sailed off of its hook, spilling sand all over the floor of the gym. Fury was beside me as Steve Rogers went and grabbed another punching bag from the line of them on the floor. He hefted it up with no problem, like the 100 lb bag didn't sway him at all. As he was about to hang it up by its chain, Fury spoke. "Trouble sleeping?" He questioned as he stepped forward. 

        "I slept for seventy years, sir," Rogers started, beginning to punch the new bag to find a new rhythm, "I think I've had my fill."

        "Then you should be out celebrating. Seeing the world."

        Steve stopped punching and began walking over to his workout bag, Fury and I heading over to meet him there. Steve began to take off the workout tape from his fists. "When I went under, the world was at war. I wake up, they say we won. They didn't say what we lost." I grimly look at Steve, the super soldier, as Fury just nods. 

        "We've made some mistakes along the way. Some very recently." My heart felt a twang at that comment and I just looked down at the file in my hands. 

        "Are you here with a mission, sir?"

        "I am."

        "Trying to get me back in the world?"

        "Trying to save it." Fury stated and I handed Steve the dossier I had. He took it and opened it, seeing the Tessarect on the first page.

        "Hydra's secret weapon." Steve commented.

        "Howard Stark fished that out of the ocean when he was looking for you." Fury began to explain. "He thought what we think. The Tessaret could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something the world sorely needs."

        Steve handed me back the dossier, which i hooked under my arms. "Who took it from you?"

        Fury actually hesitated before speaking. "He's called Loki. He's... not from around here. There's a lot we'll have to bring you up to speed on if you've in. The world has gotten even stranger than you already know." 

        "At this point, I doubt anything would surprise me."

        'Ten bucks says you're wrong. There's a debriefing packet waiting for you back at your apartment." Steve nodded before grabbing a heavy bag and hefting it over his shoulder, picking up his duffle bag in his other hand. "Is there anything you can tell us about the Tessarect that we ought to know now?" Fury questions and Steve just continues to walk.

        "You should have left it in the ocean." Steve then walks out of the gym, leaving me and Fury standing there.

        "So, is he in on the whole idea?" I ask and Fury nods.

        "He has to." Fury glances down at me. "I have one question for you, Summers. How did Loki's scepter not control you like it did to one of my most trusted agents?"

        I gave him a sad smile before digging out my metal necklace out from under my uniform. I held it up, the light streaming in from some windows reflecting off of it. "The scepter touched this instead of me. Clint was protecting me even without realizing it."

        "Barton has been compromised-"

        "I know. If I have to, I will take him down."

        "Good. Now, Coulson is waiting outside for you. You get to go and talk to Stark."

        "You don't need me, sir?" I inquire and he shakes his head.