Chapter 11: Compromised

It was the same nightmare, playing over and over in my head again before I woke up. I was sleeping in Clint's little nest, him still keeping an eye on everything as I got some shut eye. I sit up and glance down at the Tessarect, seeing it glowing more brightly than it was a few months before. I stand up and slide down the rope to the ground floor, heading over to the Doctor. "Hey, Doc. What's going on with the Tessarect?"

        "We haven't completely figured that out. It just began to give off interference a few minutes ago. I walked back in here and the readings showed how it spiked in activity." Another doctor was trying to touch the glowing blue cube, but they gt shocked by the cube. I frown before glancing up at Clint. 

        "Did you see anything?" I whisper and Clint sighs over the comm's unit. 

        "Nothing. Been staring at this cube for an hour and nothing has come near it that was new."

        "You were staring at it for an hour?"

        "You were asleep." I laugh and glance back at the doctor, spotting Coulson entering the research lab. "Do you want me to say I watched you while you slept?"

        "Yes, that is exactly what ever girl wants to hear from her lover." I mumble and Clint chuckles on the other side.

        "What is happening with the Tessarect, Doctor?" Coulson questions as he comes over, gazing over at the Tessarect occasionally. 

        "She just started giving interference, sir." Selvig states. "She might be becoming unstable."

        "How is that possible? I thought this was built for containing it." 

        "It grew too strong. Like something tempered with it." Selvig murmurs and Coulson glances at me. 

        "Summers?"

        "Nothing has touched it, sir." I murmur and Coulson nods. "But we should probably try to shut it down."

        "We can't." Selvig walks back over and frowns. "It was off when I had left before, before the energy level went up. It turned itself off, even when we unplugged it. It won't turn off."

        "I'm calling an immediate evacuation of the whole research base, just in case this thing decides to become even more unstable."

        "Sir, should we contact Director Fury?" I question and Coulson nods, fishing his phone out of this pocket. 

        "Sir, we have a problem..." And with that, Coulson walks off to start the alarms and procedures for the evacuation. 

        It wasn't long until the low-level alarms went off, with the automated voice echoing over the loudspeakers: "All personnel, evacuation order has been confirmed. This is not a drill."

        Four hours went by with that alarm going off and the voice repeating the same saying every two minutes. That is when the director himself walked into the research lab. "Talk to me, Doctor." Fury said and Selvig looked over at him from his many devices and instruments.

        He didn't look for too long until he return d his gaze to his monitoring equipment. "Director, the Tessarect is misbehaving." 

        Fury glances at me and I nod, me leaning against the lab table, arms crossed over my chest. "Is that supposed to be funny?"

        "No, it's not funny at all. The Tessarect is not only active, she's... behaving." Selvig emphasized his last word.

        "I assume you pulled the plug."