Chapter 6: The Target Infiltrates Base Camp

I avoided Hawkeye as we arrived back to the base camp, which was actually put up and fenced around, spotlights watching the perimeter. There was a crane near the contamination area, which had white tubing around the hammer zone, and little hallways that you could walk in. I went to the main control center, which was monitoring the keyhole, which was the hammer and the surrounding area. Thunder crashes ahead of us, and the screens start hazing, twitching as if the thunder was affecting the circuits. "Sir, feed from the keyhole can barely penetrate the cloud cover. tech's barely working as it is, with all the interference that thing's giving off." An agent at the monitors states. "And we have a commercial aircraft flying right over us. Southwest Airlines, flight 5434."

        "Reroute it like all the others." His higher up states.

        "Hold a sec." The agent proclaims and I step closer to them, to the monitors. "We've got something outside the fence, west side." He points at the screen to show that something or someone had crawled under the fencing. The higher up then communicates over the comms to two other agents to go and check it out. I turned on my com before walking out of the security room, heading out into the night.

        I glance around before hearing, "Agent down. We've got a perimeter breach." I growl before heading over to the weapon storage as the sirens start ringing. "Bravo quadrant, move!" Is shouted over the comms and I'm almost tempted to turn it off. 

        Thunder crashes overhead before a sudden downpour begins to pour down on me, chilling me to the core. "Entering south tunnel!" I glance towards there after grabbing my bow and quiver, Hawkeye's still there. I can see the target moving through the tunnels, taking down all of our Bravo quadrant without a second though. 

        "Target sighted, east tunnel!" I shout into the comms before I stop short, hearing Coulson. 

        "I need eye up high, with a gun." He orders and I dash over to the crane, jumping into it to find Hawkeye dashing over. He tosses his bow to me before hopping in, the crane moving up as I hand him his bow, the rain pouring down on us. "Summers, Barton? Talk to me." Coulson orders and I aim my bow, finding the target still tearing through our guards. 

        "You want us to slow him down, sir?" Hawkeye questions, aiming his bow at the target, the string pulled all the way pulled, his thumb against his jaw. "Or are you sending in more guys for him to beat up?"

        "I'll let you know." Coulson states and I sigh, noticing how the sky above us was mostly concentrated on the keyhole. I peer into the keyhole to see the target get smacked in the neck by Big Johnny.

        "Big Johnny on the scene." I whisper before cocking my bow again, aiming at the man in a blue t-shirt, which was drenched and showed his many muscles. "The target has muscles like Hawkeye. I repeat." I laugh as Hawkeye just shakes his head, never taking his eyes off the target. The target and Big Johnny begin fighting until Big Johnny runs at him, picking him up and tearing through the tubing, throwing the target to the muddy ground. They begin to fight until the target beats even Big Johnny, the crane moving to follow after them. 

        The target begins moving back towards the keyhole, and the crane swings back around. "Better call it, Coulson, 'cause I'm starting to root for this guy." Hawkeye states and I see both the target and Coulson enter the keyhole, the target watching the hammer and Coulson watching him. Hawkeye tightens the string. "Last chance, sir." 

        Coulson almost interrupts him. "Wait. I want to see this." We all watched as the target closed in on the hammer, a smug look appearing on his face. He gripped the handle before tugging, but like most, it did not budge. I sighed and lowered my bow, Hawkeye still ready. After trying to get the hammer out for a few seconds, he looked up at the heavens and yelled at them, falling to his knees. "All right, show's over. Ground units, move in." Coulson says over the comms unit. Hawkeye loosens his bow as he puts it down, the crane being lowered. He hops out before helping me out.