Chapter 3; So it begins...

"WAIT. So let me get this straight. You're only in school for four periods a day... Three of which you get to spend ogling the hot new English teacher? Meanwhile I'm stuck here all damn day and I have the pleasure of looking at teachers that share the likes of fucking shrek? I'm convinced, God hates me and for some reason is taking pity on your homosexual soul." She was being ridiculous, I should have been used to it by now. Always so dramatic. Throwing her hands in the air and not being at all quiet. Mr Harris shot her a look warning her to keep it down. Harris was a nice enough teacher. My older sister had him and she was his star pupil so I guess he already liked me and I wasn't bad at science either so that helped. I always maintained good grades, that's why I was only required three courses this year.

"You're being ridiculous Chels. If you'd have spent half as much time showing up for school and doing some work as you did flirting with clay last year, you'd be bouncing out of this place after fourth period with me. And I wouldn't have a good three and a half hours to kill until you got out of school. And I will not be ogling her, you asshole." She lowered her gaze at me and rolled her eyes.

"Is she not hot as a smoking gun and a total sweetheart to boot?" She paused and I shrugged my shoulders, silently agreeing with her rhetorical question. "Exactly, you'll be eye fucking her every second. You perv."

"Oh my God, no! Whatever tiny shred of respect I have for the authority in this school goes completely to my teachers. They put up with just as much as us students do, if not more!" Just as I made the sarcastic remark Mr Harris appeared behind me and put his hand on my shoulder. Obviously he didn't pick up on my sarcasm.

"How nice of you to say Shelby. It's really refreshing to hear a student actually consider how trying a day can be for a teacher. On behalf of us all, thank you." He winked at me and walked away. But not before stroking my arm ever so gently.

"Ew, he's a total creep. Did he seriously just wink at you. Disgusting." Chelsea whispered to me, scrunching her face.

"Yeah that was fucking weird..." I muttered before returning to reading the chapters assigned for homework. Who gives homework on the first day? Maybe I was wrong, mr harris was not that nice. Every time I glanced at his desk he was staring at me, very obviously might I add. Definitely creepy. The bell finally rung and I couldn't get out of there quick enough. As we emerged into the chaotic hallway I felt a hand snake around my waste. Expecting it to be tony I turned around and was face to face once again with Ashley.

It was time for us to talk. I didn't care if it got weird.

"Hey, heard you have study hall this period, me too. Lucky us." She smiled, arm still wrapped around me.

"Actually I'm aiding this period. So no study hall for me. But, can we talk for a sec?" She looked disappointed but nodded anyway. I said goodbye to Chelsea and kissed her on the cheek and started walking Ashley to her study hall, I'd make up some kind of excuse to give ms Sawyer as to why I was late.

"Ashley, I feel like somehow things got mixed up here with us. I mean, did I ever give you the impression that I wanted a relationship with you? I though we were very clear that this was nothing serious..." I made sure to look into her eyes so she realized that I meant every word. I didn't want to hurt her but I also didn't want her letting on that we had something going on when we didn't.

"Uh, well, yeah I mean. We did originally say it was just fun. But I guess I just grew to like you. Is that so horrible? I mean, you like me too right?" Her eyes widened as if there was an obvious answer to her question.

"Of course I like you! You're a great girl, but I just don't like you enough to get into a serious relationship, or any relationship with you. I told you things are still getting sorted with me and tony... I just really don't want to make my life more complicated than it already is. Please understand ash." I felt like a total asshole. This poor girl. But it needed to be done. And she didn't look too upset right now.