xxiii.

xxiii.

Harry plugged in his headphones and closed the front door silently, getting ready for a morning jog. His head was clustered with thoughts and tasks he had to do. It was getting a bit overwhelming, but here he was.

Harry had to think of presents for the boys for Christmas and also Louis’ birthday which was only a few weeks away. Harry sighed as he began his morning run. It wasn’t as though he was the most health conscious person, but whenever he was overly stressed, Harry found himself lacing up and pounding his feet on the concrete.

Harry took his usual route towards the trail and ran as though he was determined to win a race. Harry reached his normal impasse, but today, something felt different. Harry stopped as he looked down his normal trail, carved perfectly for the runners and bikers. For some reason, however, Harry didn’t want to take the perfect path.

Harry looked down the other way, a path that wasn’t traveled on too frequently, covered with vines and disheveled leaves, but something told him to go down the trail. Something was telling Harry to take the path less traveled.

And that’s what he did.

Harry trotted down the path, which turned out to be sloping downward, as he found himself deep within an area of trees. He couldn’t help but bask in the beauty of nature around him. Harry had found himself a spot to be alone for a bit.

Harry sat down in the middle of the woods and took a minute to catch his breath and clear his head. He was flustered with everything happening in life, but he wasn’t upset by it. In fact, he was rather happy with the way life was turning out.

Liam, after the incident with the ‘word’ at school, had been better. He even had a new best friend named Andy. Harry and Louis appreciated Andy always keeping Liam company. It was as though a light they never knew was off sparked up inside of Liam after hanging out with Andy.

Zayn, well, he was still more to himself, but he was starting to come out of his shell more. He was turning four next month, and his progress was astounding. He had begun to talk more freely to people he knew and even strangers. Zayn, always a quiet soul, was beginning to understand that his life was getting better and it would continue to do so if he’d let in the changes that were happening around him.

Louis, well, he was getting better as well. He had tried to contact Cher for a while, but Harry put an end to that as soon as he found out. He had no clue why Louis would try to still want to speak with her, until Louis broke down and told his husband that he just wanted to know if the baby was still alive.

Harry sighed at the memory, running his hands through his messy hair, untamed and flattened with sweat. He couldn’t believe how much life had changed over the past year, but he was happy with everything that had been occurring. He had his wonderful family, his life was content, and he couldn’t wish for anything more.

Harry stood up, stretching as he saw the sun peak over the hillside.

“Sunrise already?” Harry mumbled to himself. He knew he needed to get back so that he could get the boys ready for school. He and Louis had the day off so it was going to be quite relaxing. Harry looked forward to days he could stay in bed with Louis and relax.

Harry spun on his heel, getting ready to climb back up the slope when he heard a twig crack behind him. Harry stopped moving, his heart accelerating rapidly as he looked over his shoulder. He was praying that nothing was going to happen to him that was too bad all because he chose to take a different path.

Harry looked behind him and saw the little bunny scamper away into the bush, and he assumed that was the noise he had heard. Harry let out a sigh before shaking his head at himself. He felt a bit ridiculous being afraid of the wild rabbit that had hopped through the opening. Harry felt his curiosity get the best of him, however, and he turned back around and went through the shrub the rabbit had hopped through.