twenty-two. (1/2)

This chapter comes with a complimentary inhaler that you will be needing whilst reading it - enjoy the show.

    𝐌𝐘 mother would always tell me the greatest things in life weren't in physical forms; but more so internally

𝐌𝐘 mother would always tell me the greatest things in life weren't in physical forms; but more so internally. How the immense joy you felt as laughter rumbled from you, the feeling you had when you finally cozied up in bed after a long tiresome day, and even the dearest moments shared between you and someone else couldn't compare to, let's say... A dollar note?

But as I gazed at Austin from the passenger seat as we were stuck in seemingly neverending traffic, I somewhat doubted my mother's words. Because what if the greatest things in life were in fact physical? It sure as hell seemed like that when I looked at Austin. But yet again, maybe it was both? Austin was greedy with the attributes, as the man had way more than enough physical and internal greatness to power practically a quarter of the lousy men in the world, yet he kept it all to himself. Leaving me with high standards for any other person that attempted to make a move on me; because after getting acquainted with Austin's character, I knew that I would only compare his traits and mannerisms to their low ones. It truly wasn't fair.

Austin held the steering wheel with one hand whilst his other arm's elbow was resting against the window sill; his pointer finger curled up over his lips as his thumb tucked under his chin, a frustrated expression clear on his face at the situation we were in.

We finally got out of traffic at around seven-forty, though the movie had already started twenty-something minutes ago. But Austin had high hopes and continued with our journey to the cinema, the man had practically pressed his foot down on the pedal as he drove us there.

The inside was empty, as expected, and only one person was working behind the counter. I trailed over to look at the display of arcade games as I waited for Austin to get the tickets.

The song had been stuck in my head all day, to be more specific, it was the; "Viva las Vegas-do, do, do, doo, doo..." part.

"We're too late," Austin's voice carried out from behind me suddenly, and I turned my head to look over my shoulder at him. "I'm sorry."

My brows pulled together. "Hey, you did the best you could-don't be sorry," Sure I was disappointed that we couldn't see the movie, but it wasn't his fault. Then an idea flashed in my mind and my face instantly lit up, Austin's head slightly tilting in response. "We could watch it at my house or something?"

And at my suggestion, his look of disappointment changed to an optimistic one, his frowny pout smoothing into a soft smile. "And get some snacks from the shops, perhaps?"

"Absolutely," I gave him an eager nod. "But first, I wanna have a go at this claw machine and then we can skedaddle outta' here," I told him and turned back around to face the game.

As I fished the two-dollar gold coin out of my purse, I felt Austin come up behind me. Like, right up behind me. My task of getting the coin out of my purse faltered and my breath hitched in my throat at the nearness of him, my head now feeling light. My eyes caught the sight of his arm extending out from beside me toward the claw machine, and before I could point out the two-dollar coin pinched between his fingers, he pushed it into the slot.