Don't Be Scared: Paul's POV

Start from the beginning

"Do you mind if we relax today?" she asked quietly, peeking up at me from between her bangs. 

I nodded slowly and stayed perfectly still, trying not to think of how close her hand was to the small of my back.

"What did you have in mind?" I asked and she shrugged.

"Could we watch a movie?" she asked hesitantly and I blinked in surprise. 

I hardly ever watched movies for fun since they were full of special effects and fantasy. But the thought of spending an afternoon sitting next to Dawn just relaxing was more tempting than I expected and I found myself nodding.

"We can ask Nurse Joy if she has any movies for guests," I suggested and Dawn smiled gratefully at me. 

I wonder why she doesn't want to train. She seemed fine earlier when she was battling Nanu.

Nurse Joy was happy to share a list of movies and I was surprised when Dawn chose three. She accepted the key to a room that had a TV in it and I took a key of a normal room before we headed up to Dawn's room. The room looked almost the same as a normal room, with a bunk bed pushed against the wall on the left and a door leading into a bathroom on the back right hand side, but instead of a second bunk bed there was a TV against the other wall.

"Which one do you want to watch?" Dawn asked me and I shrugged.

"I don't watch movies, so you can pick," I said and Dawn frowned.

"Oh, would you rather do something else?" she asked and I shook my head.

"It's fine," I said gruffly and she frowned, not seeming convinced. "Just choose one," I ordered and she nodded slowly, looking at the three movies Nurse Joy gave her.

"I want to watch this one after dinner with Piplup, you probably wouldn't like it," she said with a small smile as she held up a movie featuring a pikachu, totodile, fennekin, and treecko posing dramatically with the title "Pokemon Rangers!" in large block letters on the top.

"You're probably right," I thought while narrowing my eyes at the kiddish title and Dawn giggled, almost making me smile.

"Then out of these two, which do you think sounds more interesting?" 

After deciding on a movie Dawn sat on the bunk bed, scootching back so she was resting against the wall and her feet dangled off of the edge of the mattress.

"Could you hand me the pillow from the top bunk?" Dawn asked. 

As I passed it to her she slipped it behind her back and the wall and wiggled a little bit to get comfortable before patting the spot next to her.

"I'll just sit on the floor," I said quickly and she frowned at me.

"It's bad for your eyes to be that close to the TV. Come on, there's plenty of room," she said invitingly, patting the spot next to her once again. 

Briefly I weighed the severity of the damage to my eyes or my self-control before gingerly sitting down on the edge of the bed and pushing back so that I was sitting several inches away from Dawn. She didn't seem to mind the gap between us though as she turned her attention to the movie playing.

The movie was about a pokemon trainer who stumbled into a town with a curse on it. The town would evaporate into mist for a hundred years before reforming and allowing the people trapped in the town to live normally for a year, before turning back to mist for another hundred. It was fairly ridiculous to think that something like that could happen and I had to roll my eyes when the trainer ended up falling in love with one of the town girls. Glancing over at Dawn I was surprised to see that she was crying silently as the trainer failed to break the curse but instead of being parted from his love he chose to become mist with her and wait for a hundred years so they could be together.