Chapter Seventeen

Niall was insistent. I relented even though I was scared of what could happen. If Paul goes with us, surely it will be okay.

We waited until everyone was up. Joel said he needed to go back to his apartment before we go get my stuff. I wasn't an idiot; I knew why. He wanted to get his gun. I was grateful he had extra protection. I asked if he would bring me back a Sprite to help me settle my nerves.

I sat on the sectional in the living room and tried to get my mind off of what was to come by watching TV. There was nothing interesting on anyway. Harry came and sat beside me.

"Joel filled me in on what's his name while we were eating breakfast this morning."

That made sense. Niall showed me where everything was located so I could take a shower. He even lent me a shirt and a pair of sweatpants to wear. His clothes were soft and smelled like him, which was my only saving grace.

I wasn't sure exactly how much Joel had told him. I bit my lip, not knowing what else to say.

Harry reached for my hand. I was shaking like a leaf, and he steadied it. "You know, it's okay to be scared. Niall is scared, too."

My head shot toward him, and I managed a small laugh. "He is not scared. He's cool and calm."

"Trust me, he's scared. He wouldn't tell you that though. That's my job." Harry gave me a sly smirk. "Everything will be okay. We are all here for you."

He patted my hand and then stood up. "Niall really cares for you, I want you to know that. He's got a big heart."

"I know."

"Are you ready to go?" Niall asked as he entered the room, my Sprite in his hand.

"Yeah, as ready as I'll ever be." Niall held out his free hand to help me up from the couch. I smiled at him, and he gave a small one in return. So he was nervous. He guided me into the kitchen.

"So here's the plan," Joel said. "Niall and Annie, you will ride with me and Paul in the Suburban. Everyone else will be in the Porsche. Annie, I need you to make a list of everything important you need."

"I just have a bunch of clothes and my laptop really. Oh, and my books. All of the books in his house are mine. He never reads."

"Well, it's settled then." Joel clapped his hands together. "What are we waiting for?"

The drive to Brent's house was fucking torture. We got stopped at every red light, only making the ride that more excruciating. Niall and I sat in the second row of seats, while Paul drove and Joel rode shotgun. He held my hand the whole way and rubbed circles on the back of my hand with his thumb.

It was oddly soothing. Even though I was incredibly nervous about facing Brent, Niall was my calm in my storm. Harry, too. As we drove on, I found myself wondering how they could be so grounded while being celebrities.

Paul made the turn onto Brent's road. The row of houses looked much more worn down and rickety, and I was suddenly embarrassed. Brent played me for a fool. He fed me so many lies, and made me believe he was going to buy me a nice house, then he'd spend all his money on God-knows-what. I guess now that I was out of the situation, I could really see for the first time. He was a fraud, a narcissist, and I was his victim. But no more. I was going to stand up to him and fight for what's mine.

He parked the SUV a few houses down from Brent's. Joel turned in his seat to face me. "You've got this, Annie."

"I know," I responded. "I'd like for you all to hang back while Paul and I enter first, if that's okay."