Chapter Fourteen

Niall's house was a huge mansion set in the nicest gated subdivision within the tri-county area. Really, I don't know why I expected him to rent an apartment or have anything less than this gigantic house.

Joel parked his car in the loop around the water fountain, making it easy for us to leave if I can't handle it. There weren't many cars in the drive, but that didn't mean anything. We were probably the first ones there.

The front door was heavy and wooden, with an extravagant wrought iron handle. Joel pulled on it, but it was locked. He rang the bell, and we waited. I felt nervous and self-conscious. I wasn't prepared for this.

Niall answered the door with a red solo cup in his hand. "Annie, Joel! Come on in!" He ushered us inside.

The grand foyer was beautiful with a giant chandelier and marble floors. Everything was pristine. I kept looking around in disbelief that a person I'm acquainted with owns a home this expensive.

"Follow me to the sitting room."

We turned the corner, and there was a massive television on the opposite wall. A sectional sat against the wall closest to us, and it looked big enough to fit twenty people. Three people were already on it, and I recognized them from doing my research about the band. Harry, Louis, and Liam had their butts planted on the couch, each enthralled with a soccer--excuse me, football--match on the TV.

"Guys, I'd like to introduce you to Annie and her friend Joel."

All of them broke their attention from the match to shake our hands.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Harry said. "We've heard so much about you!"

I tried to not look bewildered as I glanced at Niall. His cheeks and neck were red from blushing.

"Oh really? Only good things, I hope!" I joked.

Niall shrugged his shoulders. "Would you like something to drink?" He held up his cup.

I looked at Joel and he nodded. "Sure," I said.

"Oh wait!" Niall exclaimed. "I forgot the chicken! Annie, would you accompany me to KFC?"

I looked at the cup in his hand. "Are you okay to drive?" I asked.

"Of course. This is my first drink, and I've only had just a few sips." He showed it to me, and it was indeed full of dark brown liquid.

"Okay, let's go," I said. I turned to Joel, but he was already planted on an oversized chair opposite the sectional. He looked quite content.

Niall led me through the opposite end of the house and to the adjacent garage. There were three cars parked in it, including his Porsche he took me home in the other day. He used a key fob to unlock the silver Porsche.

I got in the passenger seat as he got behind the wheel. He put his hand on the back of my seat and turned to look out the rear window as he backed out of the space, completely ignoring the fact that he had a back-up camera.

"I can't believe I forgot the most important part of a party!" he said as he pulled out on the main road.

"How many people are supposed to be there?" I asked. "It doesn't seem like much of a party, no offense. I thought when you said it would be small that there would be double the people."

"I guess it's really not a party, but it's the first time the lads are visiting me since I moved here, so yeah. That's the result I guess."

I smiled, knowing I felt safe with him. I was no longer skeptical of what might happen at his "party."