Chapter Thirteen

I had to work Saturday, and it was super hard to keep my mouth shut to Mel. I didn't want to let it slip about Niall's party, especially since he said she wasn't his type.

Speaking of which, that confused me. Mel was gorgeous. Really, she should pursue modeling after college. Her hair was always sleek and her makeup perfect. She had the best, bubbly personality. Maybe it was too much? Hell if I know.

No one has said anything about the bags under my eyes. I guess it is just because they think I look this way all the time they don't say "oh are you sick?" or "you look pale." I reminded myself to start wearing more makeup like I used to.

Mel kept rambling on about Niall. At first it was cute, but now it was borderline irritating. Did she not have anything else to obsess over?

"Are you going to see him this weekend?" she asked.

"Who?" I had zoned her out for a good while.

"Niall, of course, silly." She laughed.

"Oh, I don't know." I didn't know what to say to her.

"I think you do!" I was about to zone her out again when she said something that piqued my interest, but also hurt my feelings a bit. "I wonder why Niall seems to like you more. I'm happy and bubbly. I'm pretty. You, Annie, have the potential to be pretty."

Ouch. I know I've been through some shit lately that she has no idea about, but damn. That stings coming from someone else. I know her statement to be true, but that doesn't mean she is justified in saying it. I almost tell her what Niall told me. Almost, just to be spiteful.

I refrain. There would be too much backlash and unnecessary drama. I decided I wouldn't tell her. Maybe Niall will, though, in front of a lot of people.

"I didn't mean that as an insult," Mel said, bringing me out of my reverie. "Really. I'd never say anything to hurt you, Annie."

I tried to hide the disgust I was feeling. "It's okay. I understand."

"Okay, good. Maybe I could give you a makeover or something one day?"

"No, that's okay." I gritted my teeth as I pushed past her to go to the bathroom.

I locked the door behind me and sat down on the toilet, head in my hands. Mel's comments brought up thoughts and doubts that were originally put in my mind by Brent. One of the things he said the day I left was that he was no longer attracted to me. I had fooled him. I changed; he didn't. I wasn't the person I promised him I was.

I wanted to scream. It was all bullshit. What he failed to realize was that he made me that way. I bit down on the inside of my cheek. Maybe I should tell Mel about it? I mean, we weren't really good friends yet, but I needed her to know that I was...fragile. Which pissed me off because I never thought I'd be describing myself in that way.

I got up and splashed some cold water on my face. My skin was still pretty red, but oh well. I know I'd have to bite back tears as I told Mel about my past.

"Mel, I need to talk to you about something," I said as I rounded the corner. I stopped talking as soon as I saw Niall at the register getting his usual tea with lemon and ginger.

"Mel, with all do respect, I am not interested in dating anyone at the moment," Niall said.

Oh. Okay. Why the hell was I so disappointed when he said that? Was he saying that just to get her off his back or did he really mean it?

"Hey, Annie!" Niall gave me that beautiful smile, and I managed a tight-lipped smile back.

"Hello, Niall. It's a surprise to see you today."

"Yeah?" He raised an eyebrow.

"I thought you'd spend your day in a better way than coming to campus."

"I've gotta pass the time somehow," he smirked. "I'll see you later, yeah?"

I nodded to him and he turned to leave. I assumed he did not want to tell Mel about his party, if I was still invited. I made a mental note to text him when I was off work.

"You wanted to tell me something, Annie?" Mel asked.

When I was finally off work, I was drained. Telling Mel about Brent took a toll on me. She had so many questions, some I didn't want to answer, but I did anyway because she was so pushy. I felt like she wanted to know every detail for future gossip, so I promised her not to tell anyone. I hope she would follow through with it.

Back at Joel's house I crashed on the couch to take a nap after I texted Niall to ask him about the party.

I woke up several hours later with a few texts from Niall, saying of course I was still invited and the address to his house.

Joel noticed that I stirred. "What is the dress code for tonight?" he asked.

"I don't know. I'll message him and see." Within a few minutes, he messaged me back saying that it was casual.

"Joel, will you do my makeup?" I asked.

"Of course; I was planning on it anyway! We have to have you looking your best for Mr. Horan and his friends." He wiggled his eyebrows and I laughed.

Forty-five minutes later, I texted Niall to tell him we were on our way.