Chapter Two

I picked up my backpack and scurried to my first class. The incident with the Irish boy made me late, and by late, I mean five minutes early. I needed at least five minutes before class to get settled and prepare myself for learning. It's something I'd always done. If I was ever late, I found that it flustered me and I couldn't learn properly.

I rushed inside the building and took the stairs two at a time. Arriving exactly five minutes before class starts, I was able to sit in the front row. I pulled out my notebook and pencil, and took a few deep breaths.

There was a shuffling of feet at the door and I broke my sort of meditation to look up.

Two guys were laughing at something one of them said. I recognized one--it was the Irish guy from the coffee shop. The other I had never seen before.

As I came to the realization we shared a class, his face lit up with recognition. The corners of his mouth turned up, and he smiled an actual, genuine smile. His teeth were sparkling white.

"Hey coffee girl, long time no see!" he said and chuckled.

I immediately flushed red and my breathing was heavier. I prepared myself for what came next. I was ready for the jokes that berated me, ridiculed me.

But they didn't come.

Instead, he sat down on the empty seat beside me and repositioned his baseball cap.

I had to focus on my notes and my professor, otherwise I would be distracted by the man sitting next to me.

The professor, Dr. Newgarden, went over what he expects from us and gave us an introduction to British Romantic literature. I furiously took notes; this would be important to remember later.

At ten till, Dr. Newgarden ended class. "See you all Wednesday," he said as he erased the board.

I made a conscious effort to put my things away neatly and slowly. When I looked up, he was standing near me, waiting.

"I'm sorry, but we didn't get a proper introduction earlier. My name's Niall." He smiled again.

"Annie," I responded.

"It's nice to meet you, Annie," he said and held out his hand.

"You, too." His smile was contagious and I felt the corners of my lips turn upward.

"Are you an English major?" he asked.

"Yeah, are you?" I bit my lip. The coldness of my heart begged to melt. But I couldn't. I had to keep my distance no matter how nice Niall was.

"No, actually. I'm a music major. I took British Romantic to get my English credits out of the way."

"That's interesting. Dr. Newgarden is awesome though."

"That's good to hear. I was worried how I'd fair," he chuckled.

"You'll do fine! Besides, if you run into trouble, I'm sure I could help." Oh my God, why did I just say that?

"Thanks, I'll be sure to remember that," he said. "Say, Annie, when is your next class?"

"I have an hour break and then my next class is in the same room. All my classes are in this building," I responded.

"Must be nice! Mine's all the way across campus." He looked at his watch. "I'm going to be late! I'll see you Wednesday?"

I nodded and he smiled once more before leaving.