Chapter Seven

I tried to keep my cool for the rest of my shift, but after Niall came in, all hell broke loose with Mel. At one point Lynn came to the front to ask if everything was okay.

I had to tell Mel everything. I recounted my stories of spilling the coffee and having class with him. She made me tell it in great detail, and I was sure to include every last word the man said. I finally told her to chill, and I promised to find out if he has a girlfriend.

Six o'clock rolls around quickly, as Mel questioned me for at least an hour. "Good work today," Lynn told me. I beamed. It seemed easy enough, and I get along with her and Mel. "See you Thursday. Same time."

"Okay. See you all then!" I waved and then turned and left. Once outside, I pull my cell phone from my back pocket look for Joel's name. Pressing it, I placed the phone to my ear and waited for Joel to pick up. Once he did, I asked him to come get me.

A few minutes later, Joel pulled into the lot. "How was your first day?" were the first words out of his mouth.

"It was great. I like my coworkers."

He looked at me after I didn't elaborate, and I realized I had a stupid smile plastered on my face. It was ridiculous, really.

"Are you going to tell me what's behind that smile or not?" Joel questioned.

He knew me better than anyone. There was no use in trying to hide it.

I sighed. "Did you know that Niall Horan from One Direction goes to school here?"

"I do," he said calmly. His voice was smooth and monotone as he focused on the road.

"Well, I have a class with him. I accidentally spilled my coffee on him yesterday and now he knows me as 'coffee girl.' Mel, one of the girls I work with, went crazy when he came in today. I also have British Romantic with him."

"Whoa, you spilled coffee on him yesterday?" He pulled into the parking lot of his apartment complex.

"Really? That's what you take away from my story? But yes, it was an accident. I had no idea who he was until Mel told me."

"What? You can't be serious! Everyone and their mother knows who he is." His hazel eyes grew wide.

"Well, when I lived with Brent, he controlled everything, including the music I listened to and the TV shows we watched."

"He what?" Joel grew more exasperated by the second.

It was true. He still didn't know the extent of Brent's behavior and abuse. No one did except me and Brent. If I did tell Joel everything, he'd surely go to jail for murdering Brent. I figure I'll have to talk about it eventually, but it's best if I say as little as possible for now.

"Yeah. I'm behind on everything now." I bit my lip. I really shouldn't say anymore.

"What's the last season you've seen of America's Next Top Model?"

"Sixteen, I think?"

"Oh, honey. We have a lot of catching up to do then." He smiled and opened the car door.