Chapter Fifteen

I made another mistake. I let him kiss me. Willingly. I opened up to him. I kissed him back. The butterflies in my stomach were undeniable, but I had to push past them. I broke away from the kiss and looked down at my feet.

"Annie, I'm sorry," Niall started.

"It's okay. You don't have to apologize," I said, still looking at my feet.

"No, I do. It was wrong of me to do that without asking you first." He lifted my chin with a finger so I had to look at him. "I'm sorry, Annie."

"I accept your apology."

He gave me that beautiful, gleaming smile.

"Niall, I need you to know that I'm not ready yet. Whatever is going on between us will have to wait."

He sighed. "I understand. I'll wait as long as it takes."

"Why, Niall? You don't understand--"

"Because I believe you are worth waiting for." I furrowed my brow. This didn't make any sense. I was a poor college student, barely making it. What did I have to offer him?

I stood dumbfounded. I didn't know what to say or what to do. Niall finally prompted me to move.

"I think we should go back in the sitting room before the guys get any ideas," he said, chuckling. I flushed, knowing that the guys probably are already thinking such things. He took my hand and led me back into the living room. His hand burned my skin. I was still recovering from our kiss, but I had never felt what Niall made me feel. Before we stepped back in, he let go of my hand and guided me into the room.

Joel was still in his seat, a beer in his hand. He raised an eyebrow when I glanced at him, instantly flushing because he knew me too well. He knew something happened between me and Niall.

I sat down on the huge oversized sectional while Niall went to get us more drinks. The couch was the most comfortable couch I had ever sat on. It was amazing.

"So, Annie, what are you majoring in?" Harry leaned over and asked, bringing me out of my delight in the couch cushions.

I opened my eyes and looked over at him without moving my head. His voice sounded close to my head, and when I opened my eyes, they confirmed it. It wasn't unnerving exactly, more like he was a very intimate person. It suited him and I felt comfortable around him.

"English Literature," I responded.

"Oh," he nodded. "How did you and Niall meet?"

"We actually have a class together. But the very first time we ever met, I accidentally spilled my coffee all over his feet."

Everyone had turned their attention to our conversation and laughed. Niall walked back into the room at that time, and his face glowed red. I laughed a forced, nervous little laugh in embarrassment.

"Niall was really nice about it, actually. I know I acted like a deer in headlights." I smiled at him, and he sat down beside me.

"Were you starstruck?" Liam asked, flashing a wicked smile.

"No, I didn't even know who he was for a day or two. Not until Mel told me," I answered. Speaking of Mel, what better way to have the fact that I kissed Niall hanging over her head. I know I shouldn't, but after what she said to me, I had to tell her when we worked together on Tuesday.

Harry, Liam, and Louis collectively let their jaws drop to the floor. It was my turn to laugh this time.

"She's telling the truth," Joel said.

"But how?" Louis asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. "It's a long story." I hoped that would suffice. I didn't want to elaborate on my problems to Niall, let alone the rest of the band.

Much to my pleasure and relief, the soccer team they were rooting for scored a goal and they went crazy, jumping up and down, hugging and toasting each other with their drinks.