I felt shorter than anyone. I wasn't wearing heels, and every guy here seemed to be over six foot. I tried to crane my neck to see if I could find Shea, but I just kept getting bumped and then bumping into people. I managed to make my way to a balcony, fenced by glass which gave the appearance of being invisible. I was standing next to a large pot plant and hiding in the corner.

"I am so lame," I cursed myself.

"I don't think you're lame," came a male voice from behind me.

I jumped and turned around. I immediately knew that I didn't recognise him. I hadn't seen him at school. He looked a little too old to be a high school student anyway.

Everything about him looked expensive and designer, down to his perfect fade haircut. He was tall and lean, and his blue eyes were appraising me hungrily. "In fact, I think you're pretty hot." He stepped towards me with an air of territory about him. I stepped backwards but I couldn't go anywhere. My back was touching the glass of the balcony.

He extended his hand and ran his knuckles down my bare arm. I flinched away.

"Aw, come on. Don't be like that. You can't walk into my house looking like that and not expect a little attention. What's your name?"

I could have vomited. This parasite, who could only be Zoey's brother, thought it was okay to encroach on a girl's personal space because of how she was dressed? Had he not been watching TV lately? That was not okay.

Adrenaline coursed through my body as I brought my knee up and into his groin. Kyle doubled over in pain and fell backwards into a table, knocking over several drinks that were subsequently dumped on him.

"My name is Come Near Me Again and I'll Cut It Off," I hissed. I turned around to get as far away from the letch as I could, but I walked directly into the hard chest of another guy. My reaction was to immediately throw him off me, but I recognised his scent a second later. Instinctively, I wrapped my arms around him for comfort.

"I was about to throw him off the balcony but I could see that you had yourself covered. Remind me never to cross you," Shea murmured into my hair. "However, there are just some things that I need to be made clear." Shea positioned me behind his body before he stood over Kyle. Kyle looked up and gasped when he saw Shea. "You even look at Sara again and we are going to have a serious problem," he spat.

"I didn't know she was Sara," stammered Kyle. "I wouldn't have tried if I knew it was her."

Kyle was genuinely afraid. Good, I thought. What a pig. I hope Shea scared him straight.

"Let me rephrase that," Shea said intensely. "You approach any girl like that again and we are going to have a serious problem. You're on the borderline of sexual assault, you absolute asshole."

Shea turned away from Kyle and took my hand, pulling me back into the crowd. When we found a pocket of space, he turned back to look at me, cupping my face with his hands.

Amongst all the noise, the people, and the chaos, my world stopped when Shea looked at me like he was. I saw such tenderness, concern, and ... well ... love in his eyes. My heart swelled at the thought.

"Are you okay?" he asked me.

I nodded. "Cece made me wear the dress."

"Not an excuse for him to behave like a freaking predator," Shea said firmly.

I smiled. "I'm glad you feel that way. I hope he won't be attacking anyone else tonight."

Shea smirked. "I think he'll be sitting his balls on some ice for the rest of the night, don't you worry." He laughed to himself. "By the way," he added, ducking his head down to my ear. "I love the dress." He practically purred the words, and a shiver went down my spine.