Departure

"What will happen to Strucker?" I asked when I came on board of the quinjet.

"NATO will lock him up in a facility somewhere where he can't be a threat to others and himself," Steve replied.

We were preparing to leave Sokovia. I was worried about Clint. He was lying barely awake on the table with a wound as big as his palm. Sure, it wasn't deep, but it looked horrible enough. Luckily Banner had at least some education about how to treat a wound like that and could help him, but Tony still decided to contact Helen, so she could meet them when they come back. But what will I do?

"What are you thinking about, huh?" I heard Natasha say behind my back. I was sitting in the far end of the jet, looking through the window at the always snowy land of Sokovia. She joined me on my side and looked in the same direction as I was. "It's agonizing to see these lands.."

I chuckled. She hated the snow and these parts of Europe simply because she hated the part of her that grew up here. "You forget that if you were never here you'd never be at SHIELD either, Clint wouldn't save you and get you to Fury."

"Stop making sense, I'm trying to be upset," she smiled and nudged my shoulder with her elbow.

"Well, I like it. I'm just not sure if I should stay anymore." I sighed and went to sit down on the benches by the walls of the jet. I leaned my head tiredly on my hand and stared holes into the floor.

"Oh, don't pull that fit again, I thought we talked about this?" Nat sat next to me and leaned back.

"We did and I was sure... But something that Strucker said made me feel uneasy," I explained to her and immediately caught her interest. She probably didn't expect to hear this.

"Kat, I told you not to trust that guy," Steve joined in on our conversation. I actually found him just a teensy bit annoying, because I thought me and Natasha could have this talk alone, but I knew he just wanted to help. I simply couldn't resist the spark of his blue eyes when he looked at me like I was about to make a dumb decision.

"I know you did, but that doesn't change his words. Strucker knew my father, I know he did, he didn't lie."

"Are you sure about that?" Nat scolded and gave me a side eye. She was visibly confused by my hesitation.

I lowered my head a tiny bit and started fidgeting with my hands. "No.." I murmured quietly, "But I know what I saw when I pressed him against the wall. It was simple fear and people don't lie when they're afraid."

They went quiet afterwards. Cap walked up and down the aisle and it made me even more uneasy. Couldn't he just sit down steadily? I heard Tony talking to Pepper on the phone. I know they were planning a party after a successful mission, so I guessed he was already working on their guest list. I must admit, even if I never mingled much on one of these, I would miss them. The parties were always fun to hear through the walls of my room, it made me feel calm to know the team is happy.

"Listen, take my word for it, go find your family. If anything goes south, just call us and we'll be at your side, no matter what," Nat eventually said. She was right. I was already so close, I couldn't just back away now.

After that she went to sit with Bruce and it made me happy to see them talk. I could see the way the two looked at eachother. I couldn't wait to hear how this thing will develop. Steve went to talk with Thor next to Clint and I stayed alone. I was fidgeting again and started to bite my nails. I was a mixture of excitement, rage and concern and I had no absolute clue how this will work out.

-

"Promise to call me and stay safe," Nat held my hands outside the jet. She had to stand on the aslant platform in order to be the same height as me. "I'm happy for you."