18. The Yuns

Duke didn't move the rest of the day. He just stood there over the entryway, his eyes closed. He needed to prepare for the Yuns.

Other than learning how to change his clothing, it had been quite some time since Vincent had tutored Duke on how to channel his energy and bend it to his will. Duke, however, felt that he knew enough. Of all the lessons Vincent had given, it had all been the same concept. Remain calm, gather your energy into your center, and then envision what you wanted to happen. Destroying the entryway had been accidental because Duke's emotions had gotten the better of him. Smashing together the pieces of the ornate oak banister, however, had been intentional. It had also been much easier than Duke would have expected.

The morning shifted to afternoon and the afternoon shifted to evening, but Duke did not notice. The neighborhood boys gathered to play hockey in the cul-de-sac, but they postponed their game when they saw the gaping hole where the door had been and the pile of broken wood in the entryway. They huddled together and talked, glancing at the house or even staring, but Duke did not notice. The blue sky blushed with reds and oranges and pinks as the sun sank out of sight, shadows grew from their countless secret places, and the warm summer air gained an unseasonal chill, but Duke did not notice.

He stood there, pulled inside of himself, gathering every sizzle and spark of energy he could find. He was surprised to find energy from the house itself. It ran through the walls like veins, and he pulled that into himself, too.

The night passed, more silent than usual, with the neighbors randomly peeking from behind their curtains to stare at the missing front door at all hours. When the sun rose, the birds did not sing on that side of town. There were no birds at all. They sensed the shift in energy and flew out of harm's way. Duke did not notice.

Flares of doubt rose up in Duke as the day wore on and the Yuns' arrival grew closer. If Vincent, a powerful ghost who had been around for centuries, were afraid of the Yuns, then what chance did Duke have? He didn't want to be eradicated, but he didn't want to run away from his home.

The afternoon passed with the neighborhood boys, once again, gathered on the far side of the cul-de-sac, discussing the missing door and mess inside. With no sign of the Gundersons, they were very frightened of what possibly could have happened. The adults were just as curious, and even though some of them discussed calling the police, none of them did. Over the years, so many people had come and gone from that house under strange circumstances, so this was just another one of those times. It was better not to think about what might have happened, after all, and they told their children as much. Even so, they all talked and stole glances until the sun set. Then it was best not to think upon it any more than was absolutely necessary.

When the night arrived, Duke's confidence wavered even more. For a moment, he considered just leaving. He quickly shook away that idea. Where would he go? What would he do? This was his home, and he was staying no matter what.

It was just before eleven when three cars pulled into the driveway. The three pairs of headlights turned off, car doors opened and closed, and Duke heard voices talking softly outside.

This is it, he thought. He forced away any doubts he had. If he were to succeed, he had to stay in complete control of his emotions. Keep an even head. Keep an even head.

The first person to enter the house was Fa Yun. He was a short man with wisps of white hair on top of his head. He looked around, his eyes barely pausing on the pile of wooden shards in the center of the large entryway. Yoko Yun entered next and stood beside her husband. She had short, thick curls and thick glasses. When she saw the pile of wood, she squeezed the pendant hanging on her necklace in the palm of her hand.