Chapter 23

Manami's POV

I waited patiently for Sasori to return. He had went to check on Deidara when we entered the nearest Akatsuki base. I was beginning to get annoyed as I still couldn't move and had to wait for Sasori to fix me up before I could. I felt the want to close my eyes but quickly stopped myself. Every time I closed them all I could see was my father and all I could feel was the unbearable heat of the fire that engulfed me. I shivered slightly at the memory and jumped when I felt someone's hand on my shoulder.

"Are you alright?" I looked up and saw Sasori hovering above me. I nodded forcing the tears that threatened to spill away.

"How's Deidara?" I asked feeling incredibly worried about the kid and I found myself hoping he was alright.

"He should be fine. He got quite the beating but other than a bruise to his ego, he should be fine" he informed me and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Sasori... I'm- I'm sorry I didn't believe you about Uragiri" I muttered under my breath and felt my chest tighten remembering his face as my father killed him.

"Don't be. You were right to trust him, he obviously cared for you" Sasori replied and I looked at him shocked but then remembered that Deidara probably told him everything that happened. I nodded and looked to the ground avoiding his gaze as he began to work on fixing me up. I felt my cheeks warming up as I realised how awkward this was for me and I hoped Sasori didn't notice as he was too engulfed in his work.

"There is no need to be embarrassed Manami" he told me with a small smirk beginning to form on his face. I cursed when I noticed he had seen me blush and I gave him a halfhearted glare.

"I'm not embarrassed!" I protested but he just chuckled and turned to look at me with a smug look.

"Oh really? Then why is your face the same colour as my hair?" He questioned and I scoffed at him and averted my gaze.

"Whatever" I muttered under my breath in defeat.

"Manami..." I looked up expecting to see Sasori with a smirk plastered on his face but became confused when all that was written on his face was guilt. I quirked at brow at his odd behaviour and stiffened slightly as he hugged me tightly. I couldn't take it anymore and I let a few tears escape as I returned the embrace. "I... I'm so glad your alive" he whispered in my ear pulling my tighter to him.

"Sasori, this wasn't your fault" I made sure to tell him when he pulled away from me. He nodded but looked like he was debating with himself over something. The next thing I knew he had my lips captured in his and I tensed, feeling my heart begin to race. I relaxed slowly and kissed him back, feeling all my worries slip away. All I could think about was this one moment and I instinctively wrapped my arms around his neck wanting to keep him in place while he rubbed down my sides and pulled me in closer. I shivered at his touch and he smirked against my lips.

When we finally broke for air I began taking shaky breaths in order to get my breath back and I stared at Sasori shocked. I thought he didn't like me like that but that kiss... My thoughts started to swirl in my head and my thoughts became so cloudy I couldn't even form a sentence so I just sat in silence as Sasori continued to repair me.

"Can you walk now?" He asked me and I moved my legs to hover over the metal table. I pushed myself off the bed but lost my balance immediately falling into Sasori who chuckled as my face burned bright red.

"Uh thanks, I think I'm okay now" I muttered and he nodded, letting go of me. "Sasori, I need to stop my father before he finds all the parts and resurrects the puppet master" I told him feeling worried with every second that passed by. I knew I failed my mother but if I had to I would give my life to undo the wrong that had been done.

"We'll help you" Sasori tried to convince me but I couldn't let them get involved.

"Someone needs to stay with Deidara" I told him and he grit his teeth in frustration.

"You can't seriously think I'm going to let you go on your own?" He asked angrily.

"Sasori I have to do this and I can't let you and Deidara get in the way again" I replied.

"Manami he nearly killed you, why will this time be different? He's dangerous and your going to need help!" He protested and I sighed in annoyance. "Manami... Please" he pleaded and I bit my lip but hesitantly agreed.

"Fine, if you wanna help so bad then you can help me search the library back at the cave for answers or clues as to where Hakujo is heading" I told him and he nodded. We were just about to leave when we heard Deidara call out to us.

"You aren't gonna leave me here on my own are ya, un" he smirked and I rolled my eyes at him.

"You need to rest kid, besides we are just researching and you hate researching" I insisted and he chuckled at me.

"Yeah but I hate being left alone doing nothing in this damn base more!" he protested.

"If you can't walk to the cave how are you going to help us?" I smirked and he just returned it making my face drop slightly.

"No need to worry Manami. I have my clay bird, remember?" He grinned and I resisted the urge to hit him across the head. He jumped onto his bird before I could say anything about it and began flying toward the cave.

"You going to let him beat you there?" Sasori asked me and I sighed and began to run to try to catch up with the brat. Stupid kid.

We walked inside the room filled with scrolls and Deidara looked at all of them astonished.

"You can't seriously want us to check ALL of these, can you?" He questioned and I chuckled at him.

"Yes we have to check them ALL" I replied and he sweat-dropped, probably wishing I had just left him at the base. I watched as he groaned but grabbed the nearest scroll and began reading it, muttering something about hating damn puppets. I smirked and got to work myself, this was going to take a while.