Chapter 11

When we reached the village, I wanted to pass out from exhaustion. It was insanely hot, sweat was dripping from me and I think that my socks are wet because of it. I'd depleted my water and I had no idea where I'd get more for the return journey. I said nothing because I didn't want to seem like a complainer.

The villagers were fascinated with me, curious to the vampire that was going to marry their leader's son. Their hands reached out to me, giving me flowers and beads. Imren smiled but said nothing.

"What are they saying?"

"That our gods have blessed me with a beautiful bride. They wish us to have many healthy children and pray for good health for our family and this tribe. They believe that the gods will be pleased with our union and that our food will be ripe and bountiful. This way."

Taking my hand again, Imren pulled me down a path to a large hut. It was a modest area that had thatched walls to section rooms. Imren smiled when he pushed aside the beads that hung in the space, urging me to follow.

"This is my space."

Animal pelts on the floor, weapons hanging on the wall and a pile of neatly folded clothes that were a mixture of tribal inspired and things that he's clearly found. He'd created a shelving system out of plastic milk crates and on the top, Imren had a tray of trinkets.

"Where did you find these things?"

"Beyond the lagoon, there are a few buildings, many are not safe but I would still explore them. I found these things but I do not know what they are for."

"Then why did you bring them back?"

He shrugged.

"Because I liked the look of them. Do you know what they are?"

I nodded and pointed to each of them.

"That's a pencil sharpener, they come in all sorts of shapes, sizes and colors. The metal blade in there, it cuts against the wood of a pencil and creates a sharp point that we use to write with. That's a polished stone of some sort, I'm not really into decorative stones but we can look it up if you like."

"I would."

Glancing up at Imren, I saw the eager smile. It was adorable.

"That's a nail file. Humans and vampires use them to tidy up their nails. There are different kinds but this one looks rather fancy."

It wasn't, just a plain metal file. I could see that everything on the tray meant something to Imren and I wasn't going to take that from him.

"Now these," I said with an eager smile. "Might still work if you're lucky."

Pulling out my phone, I plugged the jack in and switched on the music. Holding one of the buds near his ear, I waited until the music started. Imren's eyes widened as he stared at me.