Chapter 14

The jump was not high, thankfully. I held tight, hoping that I didn't suffer any injuries. Imren was near me, I heard the water splash seconds before I felt the cold hit my feet. We weren't quiet, I'm sure the entire tribe heard us as we jumped.

Plunging deep, I could feel myself sinking. Pushing out my arms, I tried to stop the momentum before I hit the floor. Bending my knees slightly, I flailed my arms in the water, struggling. When I felt rocks underneath my feet, I pushed hard. Seconds later, I felt the sweet air hit my face.

I gasped and then subsided to the water's surface. A few seconds later, Imren broke through the water. He coughed and spluttered, sounding like he was trying to destroy his throat. I swam over, hugging him as hard as I could.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, you?"

"I am fine. We should keep moving, we are not out of danger yet."

The path to the village was ahead of us, guards were running down it. I think that I was right when I thought that the entire tribe heard us.

"Your Highness, are you okay?"

"We're fine. Any casualties?"

"None for us. We sent the creatures on their way with a few wounds."

"They will be back, perhaps with greater numbers," Imren said. "We must hurry back to the village and alert the guards. Then it would be wise to return to the base. I'm sure Nava has had enough of this place for today."

The guard nodded, waiting for us to pass. Imren took my hand as we walked up the path, I looked at him with a smile.

"I'm not sick of this place," I said softly. "It is beautiful."

"And it is dangerous. You are not used to this world. In time, you will become accustomed to the land, you will be able to hear when things are not right. For now, we shall take small steps. Perhaps we can return in a few months," Imren paused, then smiled cheekily at me. "And stay in the village for the entire time."

I pouted at him.

"That's not fun."

Imren shrugged, slightly sad as he pushed through the gate. We were back in the village and I don't know why but I felt safer now.

"I'd rather not endure today again, Nava. I would die a thousand deaths every day if I had to live without you."

I stopped, looking at Imren, feeling my heart fill with pure happiness.

"You mean it?"

"Very much so."

I leaped into his arms, hugging him hard.

"Me too," I whispered.