"there's this guy..." - j. valeska | gotham

character: Jerome Valeska
performed by: Cameron Monaghan

male, adult, long, dramatic
from Gotham - Last Laugh [02.03]

Hiya, pops

Hiya, pops. Long time no see. [laughs]

So... how ya doin'? (beat) Silent treatment, eh? Here, I'll tell you a story. Remember Kansas City, Dad? Circus went through town every spring right around my birthday.

There was this guy. He and my mom used to drink and fornicate and beat the crap outta me. They would make a whole night out of it. And I remember one time. It was my ninth birthday. Him and my mom had just finished up round one of boozing, boning, beating up Jerome and were deciding to take a little break.

Anyway, hm, I was outside the trailer and you were there. And you said, "Why are you crying, Jerome?"

"It's my birthday. And my mom and the snake guy are beating me."

And then you said, "This world doesn't care about you or anyone else, Jerome. Better you realize that now."

Well, you see, there's this guy, Dad. And he believes in me. He thinks I'm gonna be a star. And tonight, all of Gotham will see that too. Except for you because you'll be, ya know, dead.

...

Is this the part where you say how sorry you are? Hmm? How you should have believed in me? How it's not too late to start again? News flash, Dad: it's too late.

...

[laughs] That's not why I'm gonna kill you. [pulls out papers and throws them] Plans to Arkham Asylum. [pulls out envelopes of letters] Look at these. [remembering he's blind] Ah. Letters between you and your troubled son. Innocent at first glance, but Detective Gordon— you remember him, right? He'll feel little bumps... A secret message written in Braille between you and your son, discussing my escape. Finally, the knockout gas used to disable the orderlies.

'Cause, you see, Dad, this guy I was telling you about, he's the one who broke me out of Arkham. He doesn't want anyone to know about that. Obviously. So the police will find these letters, mmm, and they'll think, "The blind old fool really loved his son. What a wonderful father." Oh. There won't be a dry eye in the house.

...

Ah, sure, [they'll believe it]. Cops are dumb. Sorry you're gonna miss my big night, Dad. But, hey, you're psychic. So, tell me: do I kill?

...

Ha, ha, ha.
Well say hi to Mom for me.