Chapter Three- The Draining Trip to Diagon Alley

Start from the beginning

"Thank you for your purchase," the young witch called after him, but he was already running out of the shop, tearing his gaze away from the spectacular collection of books that took up the whole multi-floored shop. It was only when he was back outside that Remus realized the shop he was in couldn't have possibly been that big. It took him a second to realize it was obviously magicked to be bigger on the inside and, feeling stupid he didn't realize that sooner, he stepped into the jostling crowd again.

"Oi, watch it!" some witch shouted, plowing into the small boy and sending him falling. He braced himself but a hand grabbed him, saving him from falling to the ground. He blinked up at an older, clearcut-looking boy whose hair matched the color of his sunburned skin. He had a soft-looking, round face that housed a smile of amused friendliness.

"Nearly got yourself run over, you did. New to Diagon Alley?" He nodded, unable to find his voice, but luckily the young man didn't seem to mind, his grin broadening as his baby-blue eyes filled with childlike excitement.

"Blimey, then you've been living in the Muggle world, haven't ya!" Remus was caught off guard by the man's earnest joy, as he couldn't find anything remotely remarkable about living in the Muggle world. "Oh, where are my manners. My name's Arthur Weasley. I've recently been employed at the Ministry of Magic!" he announced proudly, his eyes widening even more as he did so as if he couldn't quite believe it.

"I graduated Hogwarts two years ago. It goes by so fast, lad, it really does. Anyways, what's your name?" Remus opened his mouth to say something but still, nothing came out. However, the young man didn't call him a freak for this, nor did he seem particularly stunned by Remus' speechlessness.

"Don't worry, it's not uncommon for Muggle-borns to be overwhelmed. Are you lost?" Finally, the young man had stopped beaming at him, his eyebrows creasing in concern.

Dammit, he had to get a hold of himself.

"My name is Remus Lupin, sir, and my dad is nearby sir," he finally managed to choke out, though he sounded quite overwhelmed despite himself.

"Jolly good to meet you! Always such fun to see fresh, new, soon-to-be firsties," he said pleasantly, followed by a firm shout of "Arthur!" which finally drew his attention off Remus.

"That's my lovely wife, Molly! Well, good luck!" He waved and then the friendly young man was gone, leaving Remus standing in the midst of the crowd, still rather dazed.

Careful not to be pushed, or run into anyone else, Remus squeezed into the second store. Thankfully he recognized the name of the shop from his father's small, scrawled note. He quietly purchased the cauldron he needed. When he got back to his father, he was starting to feel tired. But he perked up immediately, not wanting his father to think he was ungrateful.

He gave the change back to his father, who counted it quickly. It hurt Remus that his father instinctively didn't trust him, that he often saw the werewolf, rather than his son. He swallowed down his disappointment and waited as his father went through the list.

Remus had used a great deal of self-control since he didn't dawdle and only used the exact amount of money his father had allowed him to. Didn't that count for something?

"We still need some more robes for you and your wand." His father sounded as tired as he felt.

"I can go myself, Dad. You don't need to worry about it." His father's dull charcoal eyes met his earnest ones. He worked desperately to hold his father's gaze and finally, the older man relented.

"Very well." He handed him more coins, looking as if parting with them pained him. He hesitated, his eyes softening some.

"Buy yourself something...for...uh, for your birthday. I never...got you anything." He seemed honestly embarrassed by this, and that alone was enough for Remus. He dared a nervous smile and was thrilled when his father mirrored it.