Chapter Two- A Very Weird Wizard

Start from the beginning

If possible, the old man's smile broadened, and his eyes twinkled even more. The powerful wizard shook his hand without even the slightest fraction of hesitation. Remus felt cold dread claw at him. Clearly, Dumbledore didn't know what he was. But his dread was second to his manners and he forced himself to focus on his guest.

Remus couldn't figure out if Dumbledore was an undesirable guest or not, but he certainly was a very stressful one. What would Remus do if he was offered a spot at Hogwarts? He'd have to be honest, there was no doubt about it. But what would Dumbledore do once he knew?

Maybe he could turn down the offer. Sure, that was being very rude, which Remus was always taught not to be, but it was certainly better than the alternative. He was getting lost in his thoughts again, as he often seemed to do, and quickly let go of Dumbledore's hand, growing red with embarrassment, as he had been shaking his hand far too long. If Dumbledore cared at all he certainly didn't show it.

"You are welcome to have a seat. Would you like anything to eat or drink?" he asked, politely despite having no idea what he would do if the headmaster accepted the offer. Remus focused on leading Dumbledore to the couch, trying to imitate his mum's calm graciousness she had always had with guests, even the undesirable ones. Brilliant sapphire eyes seemed to widen slightly in shock then crinkled with happiness and sincerity.

"What a well-mannered young man. But you needn't worry about me, I ate a late lunch before I came here."

Remus nodded, unsure what to do next. Being called a well-mannered young man was something he had only ever heard from his mum. He couldn't quite believe the comment didn't sound condescending from this powerful wizard who could easily blow up their whole house if he decided to.

But Dumbledore was looking around the house not as if he was thinking about destroying it, but thoughtfully as if he too was prone to get lost in thoughts like Remus.

"How often are you home all by yourself?" he asked in the same tone one might ask about the weather. But Remus could sense there was a deeper meaning to the question. Suddenly feeling very defensive of his poor father, who somehow managed to deal with him, he responded quickly, with just the slightest edge.

"Not very often, sir."

Sharp eyes now seemed to be piercing Remus' soul, but with a streak of stubbornness that Remus' mum always said he got from his dad, he refused to look away from the man's gaze. Dumbledore's gaze softened with sadness, though he quickly smiled again, still appearing as sincere as before. At least outwardly sincere.

"Loyalty is a trait that will serve you well, should you attend Hogwarts. But I only meant that it must be hard for you since your mum passed."

There was such earnest concern in the statement that Remus took a step back and looked away quickly.

He supposed he shouldn't be surprised Dumbledore knew about his mum's death. He had been his father's favorite professor and they had kept in touch some after Hogwarts, or so Remus had heard. What surprised him was that Dumbledore cared. Why on earth should he care so deeply about some old student's family?

It's not like his father and he were close friends, they were mere acquaintances at best and that was probably pushing it. Still, Remus didn't need nor did he want the headmaster's sympathy and he certainly didn't want to talk about this.

With more tact than he thought possible, he looked at Dumbledore with his 'innocent' honey-colored eyes and smoothly asked, "Were you close to my father? I know you were his professor, but he doesn't speak much about his time at Hogwarts."

Dumbledore kindly let the topic change, and his eyes narrowed in thought then sparkled with delight and a hint of mystery.

"No, I suppose he doesn't. But yes, he was my student, and he certainly had a knack for getting into trouble. I had to give that boy so many detentions. He and his best friend got into lots of mischief."