chapter 3

"You never have time for me Abhiram and it's getting really frustrating." Rupa complained to him.She had wanted to

"Rupa, I'm a first year post graduate . Moreover, I'm in Emergency medicine doing duty every alternate day. I spend all my free time with you yet you keep complaining. I have stopped going out with my friends. I hardly talk to my parents and the one time they call I'm usually talking to you.I don't read books any more so that whatever free time I get I could spend it with you." 

Abhiram was getting tired of arguing with Rupa and desired to get out of the students' canteen . Besides they were drawing fair bit of attention from their colleagues and some of them turned around to see what was happening.

Their busy schedule gave them little time to be with each other and Rupa always seeked Abhiram's attention.Last two weeks especially were difficult for Abhiram with his assignments from his head, Dr Shareef and his constant arguments with Rupa.Abhiram very well knew that the life of a PG is not easy and both of them being in really busy branches only seemed to make things a lot more difficult.

"Ohh ok ! Mr Busy Emergency Physician! Even I'm a first year post graduate. You miss your friends so much,you don't read books any more . You have sacrificed so much for me . I thought you liked spending time with me . I didn't realise I was causing you so much pain. Even I spend all my free time with you Abhiram. Even I don't have time for my friends ,but I don't find it a pain." Rupa said and her eyes were moist with tears.

"Rupa , I have to go . People are staring at us ,let's not create a grand spectacle for all of them to watch and gossip. " Abhiram  snapped at her.She often chose the worst possible places to start a row.

He then threw his stethescope around his neck and walked out of the canteen. 

Being in a relationship is so difficult ,he thought wryly.He wanted to so badly go back to the canteen to console her,but really didn't have the time.Patience did not come naturally to him but years spent in medicine had to some extent taught him that virtue.But it still failed him at times when he most needed it.

At that moment, his phone started ringing.It was Ritika. Abhiram picked up her call .

"Ram, Hey ! Are you busy? I'm starting my ER postings from tomorrow." Ritika told him in her soft voice.

Abhiram and Ritika used to message each other and make calls occasionally but now the messages were infrequent and the calls almost non existent.Ritika tried hard to put him off her head and tried to be happy for him instead and she was very close to doing so. 

Abhiram was also aware of the distance that grew between himself and his friend but thought it's best things remained the way they were because Rupa was a bit possessive. Rupa chose to stay aloof from Abhiram's friends and never liked hanging out together with them.

"Ok cool! Who all are posted with you?"Abhiram enquired Ritika.

"Tanusha, Tarak,Sidharth,Rahul and myself. Actually I called you to ask whether the duty roster has been put up. If not can you please post Tanusha and myself together? Please." Ritika requested Ram because she wanted a female colleague to be with her in ER postings.

"I don't think it has been put up yet. Well, let me go and check the notice board. Probably,Dr Shareef will ask me to make the roster and If he does I will post you ,Tanusha and Tarak together.Is that okay?Where is Diya posted to by the way?" Abhiram walked swiftly across the hospital door and entered the ER.

"That would be great.Thank you Ram. Diya has requested for a change in postings. She is appearing for USMLE part 1 and wants free time to study . She is in ENT( Ear Nose Throat) postings. I will definitely miss her but she has promised to come to the ER as soon as her work in ENT is over.

"Oh I see. Ok then, catch you tomorrow ,bye!." Abhiram said and cut the call. 

There were 5 missed calls ,one from Rupa and the other four from Chaitanya. He tried calling Rupa back but her phone was switched off. 

Abhiram was feeling guilty for being a little harsh with Rupa earlier. I shall make it up with her later ,he thought.

*************

**************

Hey friends!! How did you like today's chapter? Pls do comment below and let me know your views. Do vote for this chapter if you liked it.