chapter 2

"Ritu, it's time you stopped thinking about him.Some things are just not meant to be. And anyway its not like you are in love with him or something.," Diya told Ritika a hundredth time . 

"I'm not thinking of Ram. It's just that.".. Ritika's voice trailed off and she once again went into a pensive mood.

"It's just what Ritu ?Don't you see that you haven't been yourself for the past one week?"Diya tried to make her understand.

 "It doesn't feel right . I mean , I may not be in love with him but I have known Ram for quite some time now and Rupa is not the correct person for him. I know it. Why did he choose her of all people ? He is such a sensible boy and look at her, show off types. I agree she is pretty..Beauty without brains ,that's what she is." Ritika shook her head in disapproval.

Diya scrutinised her friend's face.Though Ritika wouldn't admit the truth,Diya knew Abhiram meant a lot more to her than  a mere crush.But she also knew that it was important to get her friend out of the zone she was currently in.

"Haven't you heard of the phrase 'opposites attract' ? May be he finds her attractive. Not may be. He definitely finds her attractive or else he wouldn't have proposed to her . And if u won't bite my head off ,shall I tell you one thing?  You despise her so much because you are obviously jealous of her." Diya reasoned.

Ritika's phone buzzed and when she picked it up she saw that it was Abhiram's whatsapp message. 

  Ritu, Are u free today evening?I was thinking of introducing you to someone. we can go to Sethi dhabha and have some good food there. What do you say?-

Ritika cursed her luck and gave her phone to Diya who by now was carefully surveying her friend's body language.She saw the message and her concern about her friend grew.

" You need not go Ritu, just tell him you have other plans for the evening. Or do you actually want to go?", Diya was getting worried about her friend. She knew  Ritika would get uncomfortable sharing the space with Rupa whom her friend already organically disliked.

The phone buzzed again.Iit was Abhiram's message once again.

 -- Hey ,u there? Chaitanya is coming as well and you can ask Diya to accompany you .--

"I think I should go . Going there and seeing them will make all this very real and I should be able to get over it .Uuughhhh ! I know its tough. Not only that ,  we are family friends and I don't want him to think I'm avoiding him for any reason". Ritika told Diya,  her voice low and spirits even lower.

"But of course, I will go only if you come with me" . Ritika sighed deeply.

"I don't mind coming with you at all but promise me you won't start it all over again." Diya couldn't bear looking at her friend's sad face .Past few days were truly frustrating for Ritika and so she kept bugging Diya . 

The next day, all of them reached the Dhaba at the right time.

"Hi Ritu. Hello Diya . I thought girls took much longer to get ready . You people are very punctual."Abhiram  smiled and tried to make the atmosphere comfortable. He looked ravishing in his black T shirt and blue jeans .Rupa, to whom he had proposed recently was sitting next to him

Ritika couldn't help feeling a huge void.Her throat constricted and she 

"Looks like Chaitanya is going to be late." He glanced at the entrance of the dhaba and saw Chaitanya parking his bike at the parking lot. 

"Speak of the devil & here he comes ".Abhiram gave a friendly pat to his friend just as Chaitanya took his seat next to Diya . Abhiram and Rupa sat on one side of the table and the other three sat on the opposite side .

"This is Rupa , our anaesthesia PG . Rupa , this is Ritika , my friend . Our families are very close .And she is Diya , Ritika's best friend . They are inseparable. You know Chaitanya." ,

"Abhi, We all know each other ,that's not what u wanted to tell, is it?" Chaitanya  asked his friend.It's not always that he got a chance to embarrass his friend and he wanted to make the most of it.

"OK OK , Me and Rupa ,we are seeing each other and I thought it would be nice to get together so that I can formally introduce her to you all." Abhi gave one of his charming smiles.

 Ritika suddenly lost all colour from her face. Listening to that statement from Ram was agonizing . She pulled herself up pretty soon before anyone noticed and tried to smile. 

"Hello Rupa mam." Ritika  shook hands with her. She could see that Rupa was looking really beautiful in her shiny red  salwar that flaunted her slim and slender figure.Ritika and Diya didn't even think to dress up for the occasion. 

Rupa  gave Ritika one of her weary smiles. She was bored of the place and the company too.

Soon food was served on the table.

Rupa was not really interested to come to this so called get together but reluctantly agreed to it .She wanted to go on a date with Abhiram to a cute coffee shop near the college but Abhiram convinced her  to come.Her boredom was evident to everyone and even the usually talkative Chaitanya stayed  unusually quiet.He was more interested in the food than anything else.

The only person who was enjoying the occasion was Abhiram.

It seemed like Rupa was a picky eater.Ritika saw Abhiram looking at Rupa coaxing her to serve herself some more food.No prizes for guessing he was head over heels in love with her.

 Ritika tore her eyes away from the couple and focussed her attention on her plate.They both looked absolutely perfect for each other,like a movie couple she reflected ruefully.He was her childhood crush, no big deal  and  had to get over him as soon as possible,she thought to herself. 

"Anaesthesia and Emergency medicine is a good combination Ram sir ".Diya tried to engage in some kind of conversation.

"Yeah Diya." Abhiram beamed while Rupa nodded.

The awkward conversation carried on for some more time before all of returned to their respective hostels.

 Back in  the girl's hostel, Ritika opened her mobile and looked at the selfies they took at the dhaba for one last time and then deleted them from her mobile hoping that she would soon be able to push her feelings for Abhiram aside and carry on with her life.

                                                                              ******

What is going to happen next? Will Ritika get over it? What about the new couple- Abhiram and Rupa? 

pls do vote and comment .pls give your valuable inputs & suggestions