xlv. ━━ day of the new dawn

· 。゚☆: *.
RUINS
»»————- act three. from the ashes
FORTY FIVE ━━ day of the new dawn

 from the ashesFORTY FIVE ━━ day of the new dawn

I know I was born, and I know I'll die.
the in-between is mine

pearl jam

THE WAR HAD NOT BEEN KIND SO FAR FOR THE SO CALLED STAR SQUAD AS THEY ENTERED THE ABANDONED BATTLEFIELD, the crumbled buildings left the once bright and flourishing Capitol in mere shambles. It represented nothing more than a ghost town now, but it did not mean they were safe at all. The first hidden pod they encountered was simply put, a whirlwind of fire and explosions triggered by one single arrow shot by Katniss. They caught it on camera— good propaganda Cressida had said, like they were actually engaging in some kind of battle as she tried to get the perfect shot of Katniss' face.

The katana strapped on Erin's back felt heavy, not in weight but it's presence was holding her down. She itched for something to happen, not a fake shoot to get the troops moving through their pain. No she itched to be usefull again, not some sort of prop like she is now. Her eyes flicker back to the blonde man a couple steps ahead of her. His posture is tense, she can see the way his shoulders are pulled back and the clenched fist at his side. She doesn't need to see his eyes to knows they are narrowed and focused on his surroundings. They both might have been out of the games for a while before thrown back into the Quarter Quell, but they never have been able to shake their habits. And if she's honest, they will never lose them at all.

Her gaze flickers back to her surroundings, a nervous feeling settling in her gut and Erin silently adjusted the strap holding her katana. She speeds up a bit, the feeling of being watched making a shiver crawl up her spine. But she doesn't know for sure, her imagination runs wild at this point by just looking around the deserted streets of the Capitol.

"We're setting camp up here." Erin looks up to see Boggs motioning to the side where a building stands more secure than the others around it. It still looks like its best days are behind it, but like the other building, the bricks are still intact, the only thing really giving away the fact that it's standing in a warzone is the shattered glass on the ground, only some shards still where they belong.

Soft mumbles of agreement follow and everyone silently follows the man as he steps inside. When he deems the perimeter save everyone settles down in the dust riddled room. Sitting down on the ground, Erin leans her head against the cool surface of the wall and lets a huff of air escape her lips and closes her hazel eyes for a moment. Seconds later she feels another familiar presence next to her and a warm hand finds her cold one and rubs comforting circles on the rough skin. "How are you holding up?" Finnick asked softly and Erin's eyes flutter open to look at her man.