v. ━━ ode to the fallen

· 。゚☆: *.
RUINS  
»»————- act one. uneven odds
FIVE ━━ ode to the fallen

 uneven oddsFIVE ━━ ode to the fallen

actions speak louder than words

unknown

THE WAITING ROOM WAS FILLED WITH SOFT CHATTER as the twenty-four tributes waited for their private session with the Gamemakers. Some were anxious to face them the second time, opting to just observe the other tributes in silence.

Erin was whispering back and forth with Finnick, who insisted upon knowing what she was going to show the Gamemakers. Erin refused to tell anybody—she didn't want to make them angry at her for what she was about to do.

She was going to make a statement. A statement that would show the Gamemakers loud and clear that she wasn't a marionette; she would make her own choices.

"District 3." The voice came over the loudspeaker monotonous and bored. "Beetee Latier, report for individual assessment."

Erin gave him an encouraging nod when he passed her. Her eyes nervously followed him to the corner before she turned back to Finnick.

Erin's back straightened when she heard Katniss and Peeta talk in hushed tones from the end of the line of chairs, causing a small frown to etch itself on her face. Finnick gently placed a hand on her shoulder, and she looked up.

He gave her a small smile and a reassuring squeeze. "We'll be fine." He whispered.

Erin nodded distractively, not able to correctly form a sentence. What was going to happen inside that room—that room she had only been in once before as a terrified little girl? Her turn was approaching faster every minute. Erin thought and thought about her original decision. She could get her friends—her family—killed, but it would show them. It would show them she wasn't still the same girl they had seen once before in these Games. Erin had become wiser and stronger. She knew she was her own person, someone who wouldn't stand to become just another pawn in someone else's game.

"District 4." What was going to happen to her—to Finnick? "Finnick Odair, report for individual assessment."

Erin swallowed hard as she helplessly watched Finnick stand up. "Good luck." She whispered meekly, watching as he too disappeared behind the corner.

It didn't take long before it was her turn. "District 4. Erin Benton, report for individual assessment." Erin stood up from her seat, holding her head high as she made her way towards the door. She cast one final look over her shoulder, catching the gaze of Katniss.

She gave the other girl a nod before leaving the room.

When she walked inside the area, she caught Finnick leaving. As the two passed, no words were spoken, but both briefly grabbed the other's hand for a moment before walking on.

Erin stopped in the middle of the room, staring ahead blankly. No movement gave away what she was about to do.

"Miss Benton, you have ten minutes to present your chosen skill." Plutarch said.

She gave no response. With a meaningful glance at the Gamemakers, she plopped down on the floor underneath her, her eyes never leaving Plutarch's.

Erin slowly began to hum softly, growing in volume every passing second.

"Are you, are you coming to the tree. They strung up a man they say murdered three. Strange things did happen here no stranger would it be if we met at midnight
In the hanging tree."

Her eyes wandered over the Gamemakers who stared at her with shock.

"Are you, are you coming to the tree
Where a dead man called out for his love to flee. Strange things did happen here no stranger would it be if we met at midnight In the hanging tree.

"Are you, are you coming to the tree where I told you to run so we'd both be free. Strange things did happen here no stranger would it be If we met at midnight In the hanging tree."

A serene smile crept on her face when her eyes landed on the Head Gamemaker again. His expression remained stoic as he focused on her.

"Are you, are you coming to the tree wear a necklace of hope side by side with me. Strange things did happen here no stranger would it be if we met at midnight In the hanging tree.

"Are you, are you coming to the tree where a dead man called out for his love to flee. Strange things did happen here no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree."

Erin slowly stood up from her sitting position. She gave them an elegant, mocking bow before turning on her heel and leaving the area.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬