"I'm glad you're back," I say tentatively.

She tucks a stray curl behind her ear. "Me too."

My heart lifts. Becca is happy to be sitting with us; we're finally friends again. I can't help but think back to what Ronan told me three days ago: It's you she likes, not me. For one crazy, heady moment, I imagine that I might have a chance with Becca — but before I get the chance to voice my thoughts to her or even ponder the idea silently in my head, a tray slams down on the table and the moment between us is shattered.

"This seat taken?" asks Ronan.

Jasper immediately chokes on his water. Giselle passes him a napkin.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Levi demands. Out of all the people at the table, he looks the most displeased by my roommate's surprise entrance. I suppose he still hasn't forgiven him for the whole birthday party fiasco. "You never sit with us."

"There's a first time for everything. Like sky-diving."

"Ha. You are so humorous. Is this some kind of prank? Is Clancey about to pop out behind you and shout 'boo'?"

"Well, that's the thing. Clancey and I aren't friends anymore. You see, we had a bit of disagreement, and I decided I needed some space. So, will you let me sit at your table or not? My arms are getting tired of holding this tray up."

"Fine by me," Jasper says hoarsely.

"Seriously?" Levi exclaims. "You're taking his side?"

"I can't speak for his friendliness or his loyalty, but I do trust him to tell the truth. If he says that he's not friends with Clancey anymore, then I believe him."

Ronan looks oddly touched. "Thank you, Jasper. You really shouldn't trust me, but I'm honored that you do."

Levi's head spins towards Jasper like a pinwheel caught in the wind. "Don't you know what he did to get sent here?"

"No, actually. And I don't really care. We were all different people before Lightlake. I'd like to think that we get a second chance here."

"Don't give me that bullshit. You sound like a counselor."

"So? Not everything the counselors try to teach us is entirely useless."

Scowling, Levi spits out, "Sure. And Macbeth didn't try to kill the king."

"You know I don't understand your Shakespeare references, Levi."

"Yeah, well, I don't understand why you're letting this bastard sit at our table!"

"Is that a yes?" Ronan asks.

"Yes," Jasper says, at the same time his roommate snarls, "No!"

Exasperated, Levi turns to Emily. "Please, back me up here."

"No comment," she says, casting a furtive glance at Ronan and me. "Whatever drama you guys have, I don't want to be involved."

"Oh, for Christ's sake. Is everybody at this table a total idiot?" Levi flings his hand at me beseechingly. "Finn, please. He's your roommate. You know him better than anybody."

"Uh...." All eyes are on me now. I clear my throat awkwardly. "Well... I don't really have a problem with him sitting here. We made up. He's cool now."

"Thank you," Ronan says emphatically. And he takes a seat by my side.

Levi heaves a dramatic sigh that would make any theater teacher proud, then promptly lets his head fall into his hands. "Whatever. I give up."