Chapter 6: Those Who Prove Worthy

"So who do you think these guys are?" I asked my brothers as I pointed out the skeletons in these hanging cages. "Those who prove false, I guess. I think Avery, or Thomas Tew there just trying to scare us." Sam replied. "Good thing we're jaded treasure hunters." Nate said, making Sam and I laugh. "Good thing." Sam and I said before we go down this walkway on the right and come upon a wooden, rickety bridge.

"That bridge looks...about as safe as the others." Sam remarks as we come upon it. "Well, it's held up this long." Nate said. "Famous last words." I said. "Yeah, thanks, sis." Nate said, sarcastically, and I give him a sarcastic smile. He rolls his eyes at me as he comes up to the bridge and jumps over the hole in the bridge and lands on the other side.

"Whoa..." Nate said as the bridge moves and shifts before it settles. "It's okay, it's holding! Come on." He calls out and I go and jump over to the other side, Sam follows. "These bridges are clearly not built to code." Sam said as we walk up to Nate. "Sure they are. The pirate code." I said and Sam laughs. "Not bad." He said and we go towards a cliff.

"Okay...this used to be a path." Nate said as we look down at the ravine below. "Yeah, look up there. There's more carved archways." Sam said as he points upwards and we look up. Then we went over to the side and come up to a slope. "Oh, I got rocks in my shoes from the last ten slopes." I whined and Nate jumps and slides down the slope then jumps and grabs onto the ledges of another cliff.

"Whoo! I'm a pro at this by now." Nate shouts and Sam and I slide down the slope and we latched onto ledges. "So, did Tew build this place with Avery? I can't make sense of it." Sam said as we get on top of the cliff. "I can't." I said then I look over at my twin brother. "Nate?" I said, questionable. "Neither can I. I mean, if Avery's trying to hide his treasure, why involve another pirate?" Nate asked.

"Well, maybe he saw him as a part of his crew?" Sam suggests.

"Maybe he sent him one of those Saint Dismas crosses?" I said, shrugging.

"Yeah, and maybe Tew took all the treasure for himself?" Nate said. "Please don't say that." Sam begs as we climb up and go through the large archway. "Well, we're gonna find out soon enough." Nate said and we walk into a chamber when a door starts closing behind us. "No, no, no, no!" Sam shouts as he runs over to the doorway but it was shut before he could get to it.

"Well, we're not going back that way." He said. "At least we didn't get dropped in a pit or something." I said as we see a large wheel device with three cross' and a light shining down on us. "This is... elaborate." Sam said as he looks over the device. "You could say that." Nate and I said and I go over to the side and see another switch with a hole. But this time, there was a skeleton that had its hand in the hole and spikes out and stabbed around it. "Found another switch." I said. "Careful." Both my brothers said aside go towards the skeleton  "Yeah, I'm just gonna take the...hand...out." I said as I take the skeleton's arm out and the spikes retracts. "Whoa." I exclaimed as I jump back. "Jesus." Sam mutters as Nate comes over to me. "You all right?" He asked me and I nod.

"It's a pretty elaborate test? Or trial?" Sam asked as one of the wheels on the device started to move and there was also a hole that moves down to the bottom. "Yeah... one this guy clearly failed." I said as I toss the skeletons arm aside. "Then let's do better." Sam said. "There's something on the bottom there." I said as we walk up to the device.

"It's a bucket." Nate said as I reach out and grab the bucket. "Huh. Okay. Now what?" Sam asked and I look around and see water.
I smile as I jump down and get to the very icy cold water. "Aah. Oh!" I exclaimed then I put the bucket inside and filled it with water. "Bucket filled!" I said. "All right, pass it up to me. I'm gonna put it back in that big wheel thingie." Nate said and I hand him the bucket while Sam helps me up.