Chapter 3: One of us

In the picture, Marty is on the left and Buffy is on the right so you imagine things, I'll also be putting the others at the top

Cyrus POV:

I knew it was none of my business...I knew that. I probably shouldn't worry about it too much, I'm told I'm too judgmental and it is definitely not my place. But I couldn't get what I saw out of my head today since it was the basketball tryouts. Me, Andi and Jonah were going to watch Buffy try to get on the boys' team and were watching on the bleachers. I'd brought my big sign I spent all night making that said 'You can't out tough the Buff!' I say I made it but...I came up with the concept and Andi stayed over and made it for me. It wasn't long until TJ appeared with the coach by his side. Coach went to address the people trying out whilst TJ went to stand alone next to the bottom of the bleachers on the other side of the room. Turning his basketball in his hands, he was really in his element. I noticed as soon as he saw Buffy he rolled his eyes. I wanted to slap him. Sure he may be...beautiful, but no one messes with ANY of my best friends and gets away with it.

TJ POV:

Reed and Lester were right, that girl really is here and another?! Putting the basketball I was holding down, I clenched my fists, walking over to them. No girl is getting on my boys' team.

'Hey.' I nodded my head.

Buffy gave me a patronising smile, 'Captain, Buffy, Buffy Driscoll.'

I crossed my arms, 'you won't be calling me captain any time soon.' My attention turned to the other girl, 'What are you doing here?'

She furrowed her brows, 'Trying out for the team?-'

I dramatically rolled my eyes, 'No, I mean trying out for the boys' basketball team!'

That was when Buffy's fake smiled faded immediately, 'Excuse me?'

'What?'

Buffy also crossed her arms, 'I get it TJ, you're the school bully, but this is too far.'

I looked at her and then the girl next to her, 'I have literally no idea what you're talking about.'

The girl started tugging on Buffy's sleeve, 'It's fine Buffy, he didn't know!'

Buffy scoffed, 'Yeh right,'

The girl gave me a small smile, even though I could tell she's scared of me, just like everyone else, 'I'm...I'm trans, in other words, I'm a boy.'

Letting my arms drop I felt my cheeks go red, 'You're...trans?'

The boy nodded

'Got a problem with that?' Buffy raised an eyebrow.

'N-no.' I shook my head vigorously, turning my attention back to the boy, 'I'm really sorry, I didn't realise.'

He shrugged, 'It's ok, I'm aloud to try out right?'

I nodded, 'Of course, since you're a boy.' I glared at Buffy.

Buffy pulled a face, 'Good thing it's the coach's decision of who gets on the team.' She came closer, 'because I won't have you stopping me.'
She turned to leave, 'Come on Marty!'

Marty followed her as they went to line up.

I was feeling so many emotions at the same time it was confronting. I'm really angry because Buffy has the nerve to try out for the team when she's not even a boy, I'm not sexist, by all means she should try out for the girls team. Except...there isn't one. It just annoys me, everyone is always talking about girls. When are you getting a girlfriend TJ? She's a nice girl for you TJ! Have you kissed any girls TJ? No no and most definitely, no. The amount of times I just want to scream hearing the word girl. Yet I have nothing against them! They're fine! I would be friends with one if I wanted to! It just makes me really annoyed that the one time people only say boy, it gets snatched away. Maybe that makes no sense. I also feel really bad about accidentally misgendering Marty, I was being so rude. Part of me wants to tell him I'm part of the same community...because that's the worst part, i'd never purposely want to humiliate, embarrass or make anyone who's the same as me uncomfortable. He seems really nice too, genuine, and he wasn't even mad when I misgendered him, he just politely corrected me! I'm such an idiot.
I watched as the tryouts took place, I was by myself the whole time, Reed and Lester aren't really into the whole sports thing. They're my best friends but not my sports buddies, we're really different. Afterwards, I watched as Buffy and her friends left, they were all congratulating her on how well she did, which was true, she was truly amazing. I still don't want her on my team though. Buffy smirked at me as they left, a look that signified she was ready to prove me wrong. The only one left in the gym was Marty, he was about to leave when I called him over, 'Marty! Hey!' Maybe I was a little too enthusiastic because he looked a little confused, then again, this is me we're talking about, everyone hates me. He came over probably to just be polite. 'You were great out there today, I saw, I really hope you make it onto the team.' I smiled which clearly surprised him.

'Thanks but...if you're only saying that because of what happened earlier-'

I waved my hands, 'no no no, I mean it, I swear. But I am really sorry about that.'

Marty smiled a little, 'It's...its ok, you're not the only one.'

That made me feel even worse, 'look...Marty, I just...I feel bad because.....well because...I like...I'm-'

'Marty!' Someone shouted.

We both looked up to see Buffy standing at the door, looking somewhat confused and evidently angry.

'Come on! We're going to The Spoon for celebratory taters!' Buffy smiled, completely ignoring my existence.

Marty looked at me apologetically, 'I should go.'

I nodded, 'Yeh, see ya later man.'

Marty and Buffy left, leaving me alone in the gym, alone like I always am. TJ Kippen, school bully. Turning to the basketball that was on the bleachers seat, I picked it up and started dribbling it. Listening to the satisfying bounce of the ball on the waxed floor as I moved it between my legs and taking a shot. It went in.

'Nice one.' I heard a voice echo through the gym.

I turned around to see my older sister Amber, smiling at me, 'Go away Amber,' I took the basketball and went to leave.

'Why do you have to be like this TJ?' She asked, sounding mildly hurt.

I got to the door and looked her dead in the eye, 'You know the answer to that one.' Pushing the door, I left. Amber unfortunately trailing after me.

'No I don't actually TJ, you never talk to me anymore!' She yelled.

I was very aware that we were now walking through the school grounds, 'Can we not do this here?'

'And why not?'

'Because I don't particularly want everyone knowing that my sister is the biggest fake in the entire land!'

People started to turn around and look at us.

'And what exactly have I faked?' She laughed sarcastically.

'Whatever, I'm walking home. Take your shit car and just go.' I sighed, leaving as I was passed by many judgmental looks.

Because it's almost the Andi Mack finale (next week I am pretty sure) I'll be posting more Tyrus for the next couple of weeks or so but I absolutely promise that I'll post some Grindeldore, I just need to write what I feel like writing or I'll loose interest. Right now it's Tyrus, at some point it will be Grindeldore. Thanks for staying patient!