Chapter One: Pathetic

This can't be real.

My eyes skimmed over the email again, searching for any sign that I had misinterpreted what it was saying. But yet again, I couldn't find anything. This was real.

Dear Ms. Topp,

Smosh and our team here at Defy were very impressed with your resume, as well as your interview, and are pleased to inform you that we would like you to join the Defy family! We are requesting that you report to our offices no later then 9:00 AM on Monday morning to get started. Instructions will be given to you upon your arrival.

We can't wait for you to get started!

Sincerely,

Kristen Hines

Head of Employment 

I instantly grabbed my phone, finding Shayne's name and hitting the call button.

"Hey."

"So...I just got an email." I said, cutting right to the chase.

"You know, it is usually customary in civilized culture to greet people before starting a conversation. 'Hey Shayne. How are you? So I got this email-"

"I got the job." I interrupted, rolling my eyes.

"Really?" He asked. 

"Yup! I start on Monday."

"That's awesome, Sam! Really, that's great..." He trailed off. "I just want you to remember what I told you when you decided to apply. The parent company has a lot of issues." I nodded.

"I know. Its just...I'm not really in a position to turn down a job, and I get the opportunity to work with you! The ends justify the means, don't they?"

"Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you! I'm excited to work with you too. I just want to make sure you know what you're getting into."

"I do. Hopefully I won't come to regret it." 

"I hope not either. But, Its still cause for celebration! How about I invite a bunch of the crew over to my place and we can order Pizza and give you a chance to get to know everyone?"

"That would be awesome!"

"Sweet. Ok, so we all get off in like half an hour so I'll go ahead and order the pizza. You mind being there to get the delivery?"

"No, not at all. I'll see you in a bit." I answered.

"Yeah, see ya." I hung up and then rushed to my room to find what I was going to wear. Yeah, it was just a casual thing, but this would be my first impression of my co-workers, so I obviously want to look somewhat presentable. I decided to go for one of my favorite outfits, which consisted of a vintage 'California Dreamin' t-shirt, a black pinafore skirt with zipper pockers, a pair of red and blue tube socks, and navy blue, high-top converse.

I then curled my hair and tied it into a half pony-tail with a navy blue ribbon.

Once I was ready, all I had left to do was go to Shayne's apartment, which was luckily within walking distance, and wait nervously in the hopes that everyone at Smosh would like me

Once I was ready, all I had left to do was go to Shayne's apartment, which was luckily within walking distance, and wait nervously in the hopes that everyone at Smosh would like me. I mean, some of them I had met before. Damien Haas, Shayne's best friend,and I had hung out together with Shayne several times, so I knew him better than anyone. I had also spent a little bit of time with Courtney Miller and Olivia Sui, but I didn't really know them that well. And everyone else I knew only from watching videos.

I used my key and walked into Shayne's apartment only to run smack into someone. I almost fell to the floor with the impact, but a hand grabbed my arm and an arm wrapped around my waist, catching me before I could get close to the ground. I looked up in surprise, wondering who in the world was in Shayne's apartment. I let out a sigh of relief as I instantly recognized the face.

"Oh my gosh, Damien, you scared the crap out of me." I said, stepping backwards out of his grasp. He laughed.

"Sorry. You ok?" I nodded, shutting the door behind me and turning to face him again. "I heard about the job! Congrats!" He stepped forward, wrapping his arms around my waist, and I wrapped mine around his neck, hugging him.

"Thank you!" I pulled away from him. "I'm super psyched. I think Shayne is too, he's just hiding it behind the protective big brother in him, warning me about Defy and all that."

"Yeah...its not the greatest setup." He agreed. "I mean, it has its perks, but its kind of gotten to the point where we do our work in spite of them instead of because of them, you know?"

"That...sounds promising." I said dryly.

"Don't get me wrong, I still love working with Smosh, and like, I love all the people I work with. Its just Defy." I nodded. "I'm sure you'll love it too."

"I sure hope so." I pushed my hair over my shoulder.

"Side note, you look very nice today." He stated. "I like the retro theme you've got going on here." I smiled.

"Thank you. I wanted to make a good first impression, but at the same time I didn't want to go overboard, so I kind of tried to balance between dressy and casual. How'd I do?" He raised his eyebrows.

"I mean...other than putting way too much thought into pizza with the cast and crew, I think you did great." I sighed.

"You know me. Always overthinking."

"Well trust me, Smosh has some of the most welcoming people I've ever met. They're gonna love you." He told me.

"You think?"

"I know. Don't worry about it, you're gonna be great. I already know you pretty well and I think your awesome. You have nothing to worry about."

"Thanks, Damien."

"Of course!" Suddenly the doorbell rang.

"That'll be pizza." I walked over to the door, opening it and revealing the pizza guy.

~~~Damien~~~

She is so beautiful.

I know that I sound totally pathetic, but...Sam is literally the most incredible girl I've ever met.

I've had a crush on her since the first week I met her. I remember because she had come to stay with Shayne for a week back when we were on So Random. He was shooting all week but I had that episode off so he asked if I'd keep her company. We hung out, I showed her around LA and we just really hit it off. She's funny and outgoing and smart and...gorgeous.

And now she's working at Smosh? Meaning I'll get to see her every day?

I mean, its not like I'm gonna tell her that I like her. Our friendship means way too much for me to ruin it by dropping a bomb like that. But it doesn't stop me from thinking about her...all of the time.

Like I said...pathetic.