27. g u n a a h - sin

Start from the beginning

Her mother was saying sorry, but there was no remorse or guilt. Like she thought she had done the right thing.

"Why did you keep me here then? Why didn't you give me to him?" Her words eerily quiet. Haunting and devoid of any emotions.

"Our world might accept many things, but it doesn't accept Sins. You're an illegitimate girl born out of wedlock and that too of a married woman and a high profile surgeon. We are the sinners and you're our sin."

Her whole existence coming to exist in few words.

Adulterated. Illegitimate. Sin.

She turned around yet again. Her world not in her hands anymore. Her identity lost. Her family torn into pieces. Her fate stained

She stared at her face in the mirror. Her light chipping away from her eyes in increments. She was falling in to the darkness. In that hellhole she was when she was sixteen. The pain tightening it's chain around her throat. Suffocating the Rabail she knew.

The Rabail she knew was dying and she let her die.

The woman staring back at her had no identity, no name, no father. Her eyes were of a farher she had never seen. Her face of a mother who never loved her. Her existence had been reduced to two words, an unforgivable sin.

She took the perfume bottle and threw it across hitting the mirror. Breaking it as she screamed.

He is not your father.

She took the photo frame of the one picture she had of her family and threw against wall.

You're illegitimate.

Next was the lamp as it hit the window, breaking more glass. If she was breaking and falling apart, everything else needs to too.

You're a sin.

Next was the table as she broke it in half.

"I'm not your Sin. I'm not illegitimate. I have a father. I'm not a sin. I'm just Rabail. Rabail Noor." She screamed as she saw her reflection in the broken piece of mirror.

She threw another bottle of perfume. Breaking it more. Breaking every piece of mirror she found her reflection in.

I'm not your sin. Please. I'm not your sin, Amma. I'm just your, Rabail.

She pulled at her hair as she screamed the pain out. Her throat becoming raw. Her heart becoming too heavy to handle it.

You're nothing, but a sin. A sin that I should've ended long ago.

She nodded at the piece of glasses she wrapped her hands around it. Watching her blood stain the beige carpet. She knew where her salvation and redemption was.

/////

He was in the coffee shop near her house with Hassan. Something was wrong. Her heart was beating too fast and her stomach was churning.

"I'm sorry for everything." Hassan's once high head was now hung in shame as he stared at his coffee.

"I don't care, Hassan. I just want to see her, please. I'm scared for her. I know what she does Hassan. This doesn't feel right." Hassan's eyes shot up as he confessed. "Give me the permission, Hassan, let me take her back. Let me love her."

Hassan seemed hesitant. This was his sister. His little baby. His Biscuit. What if Asfandyar wasn't right for her? But he had seen the happiness in her eyes when she stared at this inked man. The way her lips curled up in the most peaceful way in those few hours. He had never seen that light before in her eyes.

"Promise me, Asfandyar, you're going to love her. You're going to protect her. And you're going to be there when she doesn't even want to be there for herself."

None of then knew that Fate was going to test Asfandyar Khan that night as the woman he loved was losing it. Before he could answer, his phone vibrated on the table. Both of them glancing at it and he answered.

"Rabi," He said as no voice came from the other side. "Rabi?"

There was a low cough and then her raspy voice came through.

"Asfandyar Khan." She whispered. "Professor Khan."

"Rabi?" He was confused.

"I like it when you call me Rabi. I'm gonna start calling you Asfi." Her voice was in a daze. As if she was intoxicated. "Rabi. I'm going to rename myself."

"Rabail, are you okay, love?"

"Huh? Am I okay?" She got quiet. "I don't know. My hands are cold. It's getting colder here. And my heart  it's too fast. Like it's going to jump out if my throat. But I can't breathe, Asfandyar, the air is not going through."

He was scared. He was so scared. His hand trembled as her words drawled.

"And there is blood. So much blood. I think it's mine, but I'm not sure."

Fuck no. no. no. please, no.

"HASSAN," he pulled on to her brother's arm, almost dragging it out of the shoo. "WE NEED TO GO HOME, NOW."

"Oh, Hassan Bhai, is he with you?" Her voice was getting quieter and quieter by each second. "Oh but he is not my brother right? But I still love him though. Can you tell him that?"

"Rabi," His eyes were brimming with tears. Falling freely. "Damn it what have you done?"

"Oh, me? I don't know. There is glass everywhere and it's red. I think it's blood? Yeah, yeah it's blood. I'm not scared of it anymore though. Oh it's coming out of my wrist." She was fucking losing it. She was losing her mind and her blood and all he could do was helplessly listen as Hassan raced the car to his house.

"Rabi, damn it, i told you to call me. You prmised."

"But that Rabail is dead." Her voice sent shivers down his spine. "Rabail, you fell in love with was lie. She was a fickle of my imagination. She doesn have a father or mother. She was living a lie. Loving the monsters. But there was only one thing she was happy about."

"What was that?"

"She was in love with Asfandyar Khan. She wanted to marry him. Her whole world existed in his eyes. He was everything. Thank you for loving her when she couldn't even love herself. And I'm sorry she broke her promise, but this pain it was too much. She tried. I promise, she tried. But she couldn't do it."

Damn it, Hassan, drive faster. He wanted to scream.

"Asfi,"

"Hmm,"

He couldn't talk. He couldn't he could only breathe when the house came in his view, but her next words took away his breath.

"Your Rabi didn't survive."

////

Where is my tissue box?  My poor baby... 😭😭🤧🤧🤧

I'm on a writing spree. So here it is