Going For A Run

(Kellin's POV)

I scarf down half my omelet, then jump up to get outside to get to the bus stop. I slam the door and turn around to stop dead in my tracks, Vic was actually outdoors. He was wearing black shorts and a black tee shirt, no shoes. His dark hair messy and curly, hands stuck in his pockets as he leaned against the doorframe of his house.

He pulled his thin hand out of his pocket and waved a little, which I returned slowly. I gulped and walked closer to the bus stop since I could hear the bus coming. The gravel crunching beneath my feet was the loudest noise between us. I could hear my pulse in my ear, and I wasn't sure why I was so worked up about this. Maybe it was because he never came out of the house.

Vic looked in his mailbox and I ran my eyes down his frame. He shifted his weight to one foot and looked through the envelopes. Then he spins around and furrows his eyebrows, and then I heard the voice of Vic Fuentes for the first time.

"Do you know if your mom took my mail? I'm supposed to be getting something." He says. I feel my cheeks submerge in heat at the sound, it's lower with a smooth tone that makes my stomach turn. "Uh," I sputter out. "No, uh, I don't know. I haven't though." He nods, "I know." I look towards the bus, it's almost here. Vic looks back at his house, then steps back so he's not in the road anymore.

Without another word to me, he walks inside and I hear he door lock from my spot. I gulp again and can't help but smile. Somehow, just with those words, Vic Fuentes has made my day. Now, the idea of going to school and being a part of my stupid group of friends while I do stupid work doesn't seem so stupid because of that voice. That voice broke the silence that I was so accustomed to in the mornings.

_______

I learned then that Vic Fuentes wasn't such a good part of my life. Well, he wasn't really in my life but he was a large portion of my thought process. Because I was day daydreaming about that voice, like I had been for most of the day, I leave late and miss the bus. Scolding myself internally the whole time, I walk home hurriedly. I'll be home late and I know Mom will make a big deal out of nothing.

My shoulders slump in a sigh and I shake my head a little, glancing both ways before I cross the street. My bag is heavy and my feet feel like lead but I know I need to hurry before my mother gets home. I cannot deal with her playing hero mom again. Then that got me thinking, she never really was a mom to me. Sure, she cooked for me. She would clean my room and force me to study. But she never showed that motherly instinct, to keep me from harm or teach me about how to treat others.

And she couldn't play the I Keep A Roof Over Your Head card because Dad paid the bills at home. I frown at the thought of my mom, about how she's thinking she's doing all this good when really she's ruining my life. When I arrived home, Vic wasn't outside like I'd wished. I was hoping we could talk again, he could take my mind off things. But he was apparently inside and the curtains were drawn on all the rooms. Did his family talk bad about mine as well? What did his parents say about me?

I push the door open and check the clock on the oven. 4:59, it read in green numbers. I wipe the sweat from my forehead and go up the steps to my room. I drop my bag and head to the bathroom right away, extremely ready for a shower. I sung Aerosmith while I rinsed my hair, small smile on my lips. The hot water running down my skin made some of the stress go away, which I was thankful for.

Then I started thinking about this morning, how Vic's voice changed my whole day. How Kelly's stories about Jenna hardly even phased me or how Alan's jokes about my skinny little legs faded into the background of my mind. I hardly took any notes in class, actually, I didn't even pull my binder and pencil out, I just sat there.