Little Brothers Aren't Always So Bad

(Kellin's POV)

I tap my hand quickly across the top of my desk, nodding my head along with Jaime. We had a sub for Creative Writing, so the class was off their ass. Jaime and I were making beats on the desks and people were joining in, adding to the little jam session we had going.

This stopped when the sub slammed a ruler against my desk, causing me to jump back and gasp. "This isn't a studio, nor are you getting a record deal! Calm down!" I sigh and look at Jaime, who is grinning with mischief. Oh, God. "Maybe she didn't like the best. Try this."

He does a new one and I bite my lip, joining in shortly after. Chris does as well, drawing my attention the back of the class. Some redhead with gauged ears does the same and pretty soon, it sounds damn good. Again, we're interrupted.

"I said stop, boys!" The older lady screams.

"Pretty sure I'm a man, not a boy." Jaime crosses his arms. She huffs and points a shaking finger at him. Shit, she really is mad. "Get out!" He chuckles and pats my shoulder after he stands, then grabs his things and heads out cockily. Oh, Jaime, such a shame. It was fun while it lasted.

The class still chats for the rest of the time. I'm nervous now that silence has taken over, causing my thoughts to start. Vic was coming over tomorrow night and I had no idea how to act around him, or how my parents would. Something was off with them. Surely, they'd be more reluctant to me letting him stay again. Surely, they'd dislike me for loving the kid they'd hated for as long as I could remember. Something wasn't right, I could feel it.

When the bell rings, I stand and sigh, rubbing my eyes. Do I really want to go home? But I don't want to hang around school either so I walk out, muttering a few goodbyes to the people who bid them to me. I quickly get to the bus, ready to tune people out till I get home, even though that wasn't long.

My mind is in auto-pilot for the whole ride. I'm sure I looked utterly depressed to others, not that I cared. I needed to get home and see Vic, not worry about them.

When the bus stops, I hop up and scurry off the bulky bus, nodding at the bus driver in thanks. I turn around and wait for the bus to pass so I can get a look at the Fuentes house. Mike is on the porch when I look there, he startles me a little. He sees me jump and he laughs just loud enough for me to hear. At this, I start making my way to him.

"Hey, Mike," I smile slightly. He nods in return and looks at the seat next to him. I take it and out my bag next to me. "Where's your brother?" I ask nonchalantly, leaning back a little. Mike points behind him with his thumb, nodding a little. "Sulking. Him and our dad aren't on good terms right now. I came out here because they're fighting."

"It's cold." I comment. Just when the sun was starting to show itself last week, another cold front sifted trough and my ass was cold again. I rub my arms a little for hear but none is produced. "Better than hearing that." He laughs a little.

"Think it's okay if I go in? I want to check on him." I blush slightly, but look at him anyway. Mike rolls his eyes and looks at me. I gulp a little and bite the inside of my cheek. What was that look for?

He sighs, "Kellin."

"Yes, Mike?"

"When you say check on him, I know you mean--"

"No, I don't. I missed him I was worried because he didn't text me this morning." I say with my cheeks getting redder by the second. Mike knew he was embarrassing me because he laughs, throwing his head back. "Just screwing with you." He says, reaching his skinny hand into the pocket of his tight black jeans.

I watch as he lights a cigarette and inhales, looking out towards the distance. "Your folks know you're here then?"

"No, uh, they don't." I say, sighing. He looks at me then, noticing the change in my tone. He asks what's wrong and I shake my head, picking my nails. "Got another?" I ask, pointing at his Marlboro.

"I do." He reaches into his pocket again and when he hands me the cig, I place it between my teeth and let him light it for me. I don't inhale since it had been a while; as in since freshman year. "He says he's going over to yours this weekend," he says after a short silence. I nod and look at him, pulling the cigarette away from my mouth.

"Plans?" He quirks his brow. I shake my head, "Not what you're thinking. I'm worried about it actually." Mike tilts his head with a small frown. That's a cue for me to continue and explain. "My parents are just being...too accepting. They told me not to apologize when I told them about me liking Vic and telling them I like guys and all that, and don't say anything when he comes over."

Mike frowns deeper, "That's a bad thing?" I roll my eyes and take a small drag of the Marlboro, taking it slow for now. "It was amazing for a while but then I thought: 'Wow, wait, they've hated him for as long as I can think, so why the hell are they being so nice?' You know?"

"I see what you mean. I wouldn't say anything about it though, then they might really be assholes and I'll have to go to prison for kicking your parents' asses, you know?"

I laugh, smoking again. "I do," I pause and take a longer drag, closing my eyes. He snickers beside me. I grin too and stomp on the rest of the Marlboro. "You really care about him, huh?"

"I do." He finished his cig and lit another, making me furrow my eyebrows. "He used to think you hated him," I admit, crossing one leg over another and looking out at the gray clouds above us. He sighs and shakes his head. "That's because I did. I used to hate his fucking guts."

It shocked me that he'd admitted that to me, to the guy he threatened to stomp my face inside itself, or something like that. It was horrible and scary, whatever it was. And it also shocked me that anyone could feel that way towards my Vic. My sweet, innocent (except for when he was drunk) Vic. My sunshine, my darling, my fucking daffodil.

"Why?" I ask with a slightly annoyed edge in my voice.

"He was better than me. He made such good grades and Mom fucking adored him. He was smarter, more level-headed. Vic can handle a lot, I'm sure you know. He's so sensitive but he'd never show that if he wasn't comfortable around you. I didn't see it till three weeks ago. And it made me so mad, at myself that is, when I did. All this time I spent hating him because I was jealous." He shakes his head, sighing again.

"You're a good guy. No need to be jealous, dude." I try to seem comforting even though I didn't know how Mike took sympathy. He squeezes his eyes shut tight and sighs, for the millionth time. "I wasn't. I regret hating him like that. I couldn't go without him now. Made me see why Mom never stopped talking about him. He's caring and gentle and he loves everything that walks this earth."

We both laugh and I shake my head. He was right thought. Those were the reasons I couldn't live without the small boy. That's it, I thought, I need him. I need to hug him, touch him, feel him.

"Go." Mike laughs.

"What?" I ask.

"You want to be with him right now, so go get him, dude."

_____

sooooo this is the last update until like this weekend. I really wish I had wifi at home! 😒
anyway I hope this was okay to you all, I liked it quite a bit.👽
random; today was an mcr day. thats all I wanted to listen to. how about you guys? 🌸
peace homies🎀