Routine

hey guys! it's insane how far this story has come and its all thanks to you 🖤🌼 also, I have a one shot book up now as well, and I'd like some feedback!! anyway, Ily💕
(Kellin's POV)

I crossed my arms and pursed my lips, looking over at the Fuentes home. It was a large brick house, nice cars in the drive way and two large dogs on the porch. It was almost identical to mine except their dogs had shinier coats. I saw the upstairs curtains shut and I wondered who'd been looking at me looking at their house.

I bite the inside of my cheek and walk away, secretly curious. But before I could let my thoughts carry on, my mother walked into my clean room. She leaned against the doorframe and sent me a smile that I lacked to return. Her lips dropped and she sighed, pursing her lips. "Ready for dinner?" She asks. I shrug and stand to follow her down the dark steps.

The thing I hated about my house was that we had a routine. Same thing every day, no changes or fun, just a cycle that never ended. I was left to wonder about vacations and things like that because we never took them. Mother told me school was more important and I guess I believed her, I never questioned her.

Dad sent me a stern look and put the newspaper down. "Honey, did you know the Fuentes' got a new car today? I don't know how they do it, sure they have money, but why do they feel they need to always show off? What pricks." He muttered. Mother chuckled slightly, "Darling, don't get so worked up. They probably haven't even paid yet, just renting." They laughed loudly with one another while I picked at my potatoes.

It bothered me when they spoke badly about the family across the street from us. I don't remember a time when they didn't do this though, so I said nothing. I wasn't sure why the hell they were so keen on hating one another but it had to be bad because I wasn't even allowed to talk to their son, Vic. But I wanted to. He seemed different, intriguing really. He hardly ever left the house. He was home-schooled so no bus stop, no friends coming or leaving, or anything of that sort.

If Vic didn't occasionally peak out of his window, I wouldn't know he lived there. "Son, eat your food. Almost time for bed." Mother sent me a stern look from her side of the table and I nodded glumly, picking at the contents of my plate. Dad was watching me so I took a few bites to get them off my back. We heard a car door shut and Mother jumped up, rushing to the window.

And like she always did, she looked at the Fuentes home. "Oh, Mother of God! Jerry, look! They did get the car." She said in dismay. As I put my plate in he sink, I grinned and fought the snicker forming in my throat. I snuck up the stairs as they argued tirelessly, yelling about how stupid and worthless the people across the street were.

_______

When I awoke in my all white room, I stared at the ceiling for a while. I frowned because I knew what was ahead; a routine. I'd do the same thing every morning and this one was no different. I'd get some clothes on and brush my teeth and hair and eat breakfast with my bickering parents and then head out to the bus stop as I stared at the Fuentes home.

I did just that. I stumbled out of bed and went right to my walk-in closet. I slid on a light blue long sleeve shirt and black skinny jeans that my parents hated, along with grey TOMS. I walked to my bathroom to finish the routine I'd grown tired of years ago. After my teeth were pearly and clean, I rinsed the sink and wiped my mouth so I wouldn't go to school looking like a rabies-infested lunatic. My fingers worked as a comb for my thick black hair, then I ran my eyes over myself in the mirror.

How boring, I thought. Sighing, I walked out and cut off the light. Mom called me from the kitchen and I winced because I was already on the steps. Her loud voice echoed in my ears. "I'm right here, you know," I said annoyingly. "Get down here for breakfast." She says, like she didn't even hear me. "Fine."

I sit and pick at my food like I did every time I sat down to have a meal. My small appetite ran my parents up a wall but I could care less, it was my body. They ought to be used to it, I think smugly. It's a routine just like every other aspect of my home life. Mom glared at me as I gulped down half of my eggs and jumped up. "You aren't going to eat-"

"Gotta go!"

I shut the door and hurried to the curb to wait for the bus. Subconsciously, I put my hands in my pockets and looked up at the Fuentes home that resembled mine. Claw, my favorite dog that we owned, nudged my thigh. I smiled slightly and rubbed his black coat, sighing tiredly. Claw had a scar over his eye, and therefore, we named him accordingly. Apparently, a bear accident when he was a puppy left him like this for life.

"Hey, buddy." I say quietly. He licks my hand and I pulled away and wipe my hand on my jeans, then pocket my hands again. My eyes flicker back to the Fuentes house and my lips purse on instinct. This time, the drapes are open on the upper floor. Me and Vic stared at one another for a while, his brown eyes running over my thin frame. He seemed skinnier than me, darker and with curlier hair.

Then his lip curled slightly into a small smile that I returned without thinking. Oh no, no, I hope Mother wasn't watching. I glance back at my own house, then back at him. But by the time I go to find his face, he's gone from the window and the drapes are pulled. I sigh and look down at my shoes, not admitting how disappointed I was.

Vic Fuentes had made my morning. As I climbed onto the noisy bus, a smile was plastered on my lips. He had changed it. Usually I stand there shivering in my skin, occasionally petting one of my dogs or playing on my phone when I wasn't staring at their house and wondering why our parents hated one another. But this morning, he'd been there and we smiled. The routine was gone now, and a new one would form. Finally, I think. Even if it wasn't a huge change, it was something. Finally it isn't the same boring routine.