Chapter 15 Project Zola

Start from the beginning

"How did you get here?" Steve decided to change the subject a bit seeming to notice your slight distress as Doctor Zola directed his attention to him.

"Invited" Doctor Zola laughed a bit causing you to take a slight step closer to Steve.

"But no one would just invite an enemy scientist into their facility!" You tried to argue but Natasha shot down your point.

"It was Operation Paperclip after World War II S.H.I.E.L.D recruited German scientists with strategic value" Natasha stared at the computer monitor now as you just stared at the floor with a breath leaving you. Well, it was stupid but to be honest sounded like something they'd do, don't people get it? you can't change some one who doesn't want to be changed, why would they of really helped them? Something wasn't adding up in your mind.

"They thought I could help their cause. I also helped my own" Doctor Zola seemed to laugh a bit causing you to look up from the floor piercing your lips, you had a certain look about you, were you angry? Steve couldn't tell but it was different than the soft you he had gotten to know.

"H.Y.D.R.A died with the Red Skull, you're stalling" you spit out before your face fell a bit as Doctor Zola just laughs a bit at your sudden fire.

"Cut off one head, two more shall take its place" Doctor Zola replied to you now and Steve could see you just about to burst at the seams. Though he'd be lying if he said he wasn't getting annoying with Doctor Zola either.

"Prove it" Steve decided to speak up for you now watching as Doctor Zola seemed to do something.

"Accessing archive" Doctor Zola seemed to be doing something now as the screen showed old footage of a man named Johann Schmidt, otherwise known as the red skull.... "H.Y.D.R.A was founded on the belief that humanity could not be trusted with its own freedom. What we did not realize, was that if you try to take that freedom, they resist. The war taught us much. Humanity needed to surrender its freedom willingly" he paused in his slight speech almost like Doctor Zola was enjoying the look of slight anger and despair on both yours and Steve's face. "After the war, S.H.I.E.L.D was founded and I was recruited. The new H.Y.D.R.A grew. A beautiful parasite inside S.H.I.E.L.D, For seventy years H.Y.D.R.A has been secretly feeding crisis, reaping war. And when history did not cooperate, history was changed."

"That's impossible!" You suddenly spoke up with Natasha to back you while Steve just seemed so lost in thought.

"S.H.I.E.L.D would have stopped you" Natasha clenched her fists as Doctor Zola chuckled for a moment before the screen changed a bit.

"Accidents will happen" the screen changed showing the death of your parents before you and all you could do was watch tears brimming the edge of your eyes as you clutched the desk a bit watching Your father and mother swerve off the road in a car crash and you couldn't help but bare you teeth fighting back tears. Your head was starting to pound again, your nose was starting to have a bit of pressure and now your eyes stung. You wanted to throw the computer off the desk in a fit, but you just couldn't and all you could do was watch as the screen changed to show the most recent death of Fury. "HYDRA created a world so chaotic that humanity is finally ready to sacrifice its freedom to gain its security. Once the purification process is complete, H.Y.D.R.A's new world order will arise. We won, Captain. Your death amounts to the same as your Life; a zero sum"

You watched as Steve suddenly got angry again letting you see for the second time what his anger really looked like as he suddenly put his hand into a fish and punched the computer cracking the screen but not enough to break it. You'd have to thank him later for that, honestly you wanted to do the same thing just so badly.