Chapter 10 A Simple Talk

This was ridiculous, all these officers escorting both you and Steve to S.H.I.E.L.D felt over done, like who ever had planned this was flexing how much power they had at the moment. It was almost stupid and yet at the same time made you fear in the slightest, bit maybe that's what they wanted. Finally being able to walk alone in the building you almost clung to Steve walking through until finally seeing just who you both were being led to meet. He seemed to be talking to sharon who seemed sad, though she must of gotten word about fury.

"For what ever it's worth you did your best" pierce lightly said as Sharon nodded a bit looking far off.

"Thank you sir..." she muttered a bit as she turned on her heel to leave until stopping seeing Steve and you now before offering you both sympathetic smiled, she seemed nice enough but you couldn't trust anyone. "Captain Rogers, Ms. Stark" Sharon smiles at you as you gave her a friendly wave and a smile while Steve seemed a bit bitter about her not actually being his nice neighbor and just another agent sent to spy on him.

"Neighbor." If you hadn't known any better you'd of thought that to be a cold greeting from Steve, but he was too nice for that, in your opinion anyway. Sharon just glanced at him looking a little hurt while both you and Steve approached pierce who smiled upon seeing you both.

"Ah Captain! Ms. Stark!" He reached to shake hands shaking Steve's first before shaking yours.

"Sir, it's an honor" Steve said lightly while he had shook hands before you just flashed your press smile shaking hands next saying that it was nice to meet him before pierce just shook his head.

"No no the honor is mine captain!" Pierce slowly turned to walk into his office you and Steve trailing along behind him, "and Ms. Stark! Big fan of your family's work" pierce walked into his office more before suddenly being to speak again. "My father served in the 101st, come on in you two" Pierce walked over to his desk now as you and Steve stood in front of it now. Pierce turned a picture frame around revealing a picture of fury and him together, they looked happy. You wondered if fury trusted this guy. "That photo was taken five years after Nick and I met, When I was at State Department in Bogota....ELN rebels took the embassy, and security got me out, but the rebels took hostages...Nick was deputy chief for the S.H.I.E.L.D station there" slowly pierce turned the picture back to him staring at it before he continued. "he came to me with a plan...he wanted to storm the building through the sewers. I said, "No, we'll negotiate." Turned out the ELN didn't negotiate, so they put out a kill order! Can you believe that?, They stormed the basement, and what did they find? They find it empty. Nick had ignored my direct order and carried out an unauthorized military operation on foreign soil. He saved the lives of a dozen political officers, including...my daughter" pierce smiles at the memory and you looked to the floor as steve kept his eyes firm on pierce.

"Do you gave him a promotion?" Steve raised an eyebrow slowly crossing his arms over his chest as you nearly rocked on your heels.

"I've never had any regrets to it" pierce laughed before suddenly looking serious clasping his hands together in front of him now as he leaned forward furrowing his eyebrows. "So now please tell me captain, Stark, what as fury doing in the apartment last night?" Pierce looked between you and Steve as he seemed to think about it before you spoke for him hoping he'd go along with you, close friend to fury or not he said don't trust anyone, and you weren't taking that like it was a grain of salt.

"We don't know, came back from a dinner with a friend to find him there" you watched as pierce stared at you for a moment a stare that was almost chilling. You swallowed the lump in your throat as you stared back at him.

"Did you know it was bugged?" Pierce looks to Steve now and you made sure to speak before Steve did, he'd say yes you knew he would be didn't need to know that you both knew, it didn't seem to click that was an odd question to ask for some one who didn't know about ears being everywhere. Did that means Steve's apartment really was bugged?