How could they not understand?

The shine of the portal failed, replaced by the light of a bright sun. It was morning in Republic City. The two women emerging from the portal left the Spirit World to come back to the reality. The city was destroyed all around them but now was not the time to care. Korra and Asami were not quite ready to completely leave their realm of joy and love they experienced the past couple of weeks. They knew they would have to do a lot of things in order to help the citizens, the Earth Republic and to fix all this mess caused by Kuvira. But they could still escape the responsibilities for a few moments, before being overwhelmed by work. So, still holding hands they walked out of the crater covered with vines.

"So, we're back. What do we do now?" The blue-eyed Avatar asked.

Their vacation was wonderful, but indeed they were back and hadn't really planed what to do next.

"Actually, I was thinking of a nap. Though I loved being in the Spirit World, it's not very restful and I missed my bed." Asami stated.

"Says the woman who falls asleep on her desk." Korra said ironically with a smirk.

"Hey! I don't always sleep on my desk! And certainly not during weeks. So, come on, let's get some rest."

"Okay..." Korra responded hesitantly. "But... where? The Air Temple is probably full of refugees, and the Sato mansion full of Mako and Bolin's family. What if they are there?"

She paused before continuing:

"Should we tell them or not?"

The engineer simply raised an eyebrow.

"I mean... I don't want to hide but with Mako... I think maybe we should go easy on him. It can be... disturbing."

The green eyes softened as Asami answered:

"Well, yeah... It's something very new but I don't want to hide either. We'll find out when it will happen."

"You're right." Korra nodded. "Let's go, then!"

Asami headed to the Sato mansion and Korra simply followed her. They walked together along the streets of the city, exchanging sometimes furtive glances and slight smiles during their little walk. The warmth which has bloomed inside of them from each other company carried every step they took, making them wanting to stay together and keep a bright smile meant only for themselves.

The streets were still full of some weird silent. However, it was maybe for the best. As there was nobody, they could walk without being bothered. They were still the Avatar and the CEO of Future Industries. And to be honest, they had probably been searched for the past few weeks. It was not as if they had warned anyone... They had been very hasty. Maybe a little too much. But it had been three years! It was time to make a step. And maybe a few more others then... It had lead them to spend a wonderful time together, to finally talk about their feelings and express them. It was really good. It was some kind of freedom. It was the freedom of loving, being accepted by the other. There was no more prison for these feelings. However, it was the beginning so, sometimes, they were still a little bit unsure about what to do, what not to do. In one look though, these fears were defeated.

Despite the calm out there and between them, they were still very happy. Even tiredness didn't reach them. They walked for a few minutes. Eventually, they reached the Sato Mansion. The owner entered the mansion without any hesitation. And in spite of being a bit uncertain, Korra stepped inside after her. There were noises in the building. People were in it; it was sure. Asami didn't pay much attention to it and started climbing the stairs to access her room. One moment, she looked back at the blue-eyed woman who had been distracted by the noises and had stopped. She waited for her. Korra finally made eye contact and smiled. Then, both of them went upstairs, in Asami's bedroom. The older woman didn't bother to take off anything before throwing herself on the bed.