Nightmares

Asami woke up to the sound of fearful screams and thrashing in the room next to her. She sat up quickly and pulled on her robe before making her way to the source of the scream. She swung open the door and saw a sweat covered Korra thrashing wildly in her bed.

"No! No, stop!" She yelled her eyes clamped shut. Asami ran to Korra's side and pulled her head to rest on her chest. Korra tried to struggle out of the embrace, pushing Asami away, but the raven haired girl just hugged tighter.

"Shh. It's me, Korra. You're safe now. You're safe." She whispered soothingly. Asami's chest tightened when she felt Korra crying, clutching fistfuls of her nightgown. Asami wanted to cry at the sight of how broken Korra was. The younger girl was always so free spirited with a 'Nothing can get in my way' attitude. And now, she was waking up every night do to these abysmal nightmares and was unable to take a few steps, let alone stand up by herself. But she was Korra, she could get through all of this- at least, that's what everyone hoped.

After a few more minutes of crying, the tears finally slowed down, but Korra still held on to Asami like she was her only life line. When the tears finally subsided, Asami held Korra at arms length.

"Are you okay, Korra?" She asked, softly. Korra just averted her eyes, and gave an almost unnoticeable nod.

"I'm fine, thanks." She replied, as she stared out the window. Asami took a deep breath before speaking again.

"Korra, you have been having these nightmares every night for the past couple of months. Maybe, if you talked abou-"

"No!" Korra said firmly, cutting Asami off. "I can't...It's too...I, I just can't" She finished as she began to cry once more. Asami comforted Korra as much as she could, but it was hard to do so when she didn't even know what the dreams were about. She cared for Korra so deeply, and it pained her to know that the watertribe girl wouldn't let her in. That she wouldn't let her help.

"Korra, I'm here for you. I've always have been. Why won't you just let me help you?" Asami pleaded, trying to get Korra to look at her.

"Please, Asami just leave it alone and go back to bed..." Korra said, as she turned her head.

"Korra, please don't shut me out..." Asami pleaded once more, reaching out to grab Korra's arm. "Korra, look at me." she demanded. Pale green eyes met sad blue. The look in Korra's eyes broke Asami's heart. "You know you can tell me anything. You don't have to hide things from me, like you do with the others. I know you. I know when you're lying, when you're disappointed or upset, even if you have a smile on your face..." she paused before continuing "And I know when you're scared. If you would just tell me what you're afraid of... I can help you move past it. We'll get through this together. You don't have to be alone in this" Asami stated.

"But I am alone!" Korra started. "You'll never know how it feels to be in charge of saving the world, keeping it balanced. You'll never know how it feels to have metal poison inside of your body. You won't understand what if feels like to try to stop your body from fighting the poison because there are people there trying to kill you once your body tries its only defense against it.!" Korra concluded, silent tears falling from her eyes. Asami stayed quiet. She knew it was good for Korra to voice her feelings.

"You'll never understand what it feels like to realize that in only a matter of seconds you can lose everything. If I would've died, everything would have been throw out of balance and I could no longer protect the people I loved. I wouldn't be able to protect you..." Korra said in a hushed tone. So quiet, Asami didn't really get the last part.

"So is that what your dreams are about? You battle with Zaheer?" Asami asked. She had a feeling that was the problem but-

"No..." Korra answered, interrupting Asami's Satotrain of thought. Korra realized the confused look on Asami's face and decided to continue "Well, not now anyway or at least not as often...it's something else..."