Chapter 8

Chapter 8
It was Newt who found me, I have no idea how long I was sitting there, but it had to have been a while because the sun was casting it's final rays over the Glade.

"Hey...," he walked to me slowly.

"Hi," I tried to give a smile, but it faltered.

"It seems to be a habit of yours to sit against this wall," he said while sliding down beside me.

"Is...Is he-..." I tried to ask, but I couldn't form the words. I felt the tears come once more, but wiped them away.

"Is he dead?," Newt finished. I shook my head in agreement, to scared to answer. "No... not yet."

Not yet... but soon. I don't even know Nick, we met only this morning, but now he'll be dead soon. That's how quick it can happen.

I turned to Newt," H-How... How did-d..."

"Its being said he tripped while running through the blades and it cut him in two," Newt was staring into the Glade and sounded like he was just reciting a fact and nothing more.

I took a deep breath," I don't w-want to be a Runner," I told him.

He then turned to me," I used to be a Runner, you know."

My eyes widened," Really? I didn't know you could quit."

Newt looked back to the Glade," You don't. I was the exception to the rule."

"What happened?"

"It was about four months ago, I had been here for a while. I've been here for a little less time then Alby and it was rough in the beginning. We had no order, people were fighting and dying. We were losing boys faster then we were getting them, I couldn't take it. I was losing everyone I cared about, it was too much. One day, the maze opens and I go in with Alby. We spit up briefly and I knew it was time. I had lost all bloody hope; the maze, the glade, nothing had meaning anymore. I felt like I had no control," Newt paused. "So I did the one thing I thought I could control. I climbed a vine up the side of the maze, made it quite a ways up, too. I looked down and felt at peace, so I let go."

My hands flew up to keep the gasp from escaping my mouth. Newt... tried to kill himself?

"Apparently, I didn't control that either" he scoffed. "Next think I knew I would up in that bloody Med hut. Alive, with broken legs."

Newt tried to kill himself.

"It's not one's fault what happened to Nick. He knew the risk when he left, bloody shank... Sometimes the maze kills us, other times it makes a stronger. You don't have to be a Runner, Greenie, but the maze is still going to change you."

I let out a sigh, "What happens now?"

"Clint and Jeff are taking care of him, best they can. One he does... pass, the Baggers will bury him, we'll say goodbyes and maybe take the day off."

"How often does this happen, Newt," as he opens his mouth to respond, but I add, "Don't lie to me."

He waits a moment," It happens more than we like it to."

"That's not a real answer."

"It's not a fair question," Newt said, looking back to me. " You can't judge this place by the bad times, you have to revel in the good if you want to survive."

"Maybe I won't survive...," I whisper.

Newt shifts his body," Don't say that, Greenie. I understand it hasn't been the easiest of days, but believe me, you can survive this." I nod and lean my head back against the cold hard wall. "Don't get comfy, Greenie. Time to go and eat, I'm bloody starving."