It was then she noticed the well-worn pathway next to it, leading into the forest.

Squinting to see into the tree-shaded darkness, she realized the dirt path was lined with more gargoyle statues, of all shapes and sizes. They each encased a white orb in an outstretched hand. Like a row of unlit lamp stands.

She entered the forest.

As she passed the first gargoyle chimera, the orb in its paw lit up brightly. And like Dominoes, the rest of the globes lining the pathway switched on in quick succession, casting a pallor across the savage faces of the chimeras and lighting the dirt pathway between them. She gasped and raised a hand to her throat in delight, figuring motion detectors had set them off.

With a little laugh, she followed the pathway an additional twenty feet into the woods where it curved to the right; trees and undergrowth closing in around it. She stopped walking, considering. Despite the faintly-lit orbs, the trail ahead was dark and narrow with little sunlight penetrating the canopy above. The earth smelled damp, like wet moss and animal droppings. She vacillated between turning back or going deeper into the forest. Was this even the route to Ian's shed or was it located somewhere else?

She walked a little further and glanced behind. The greensward was no longer in sight, swallowed up by the foliage. It was like walking through the woods at dusk rather than midday. Surely it was her imagination, but the gargoyles and their glowing orbs seemed to be tightening up—the space between each one lessening. She had passed at least twenty of them by now.

Heartbeat picking up a notch, she increased her pace, rounding another sharp bend in the path; this time to the left. Straight ahead some fifty feet, beams of incandescent light permeated the gaps in the lower tree boughs and leaves, suggesting a lighted building was beyond them. She let out an exhale and smiled. It must be Ian's work shed.

Lily's pulse had just begun to slow when something grabbed her foot.

Unable to catch her balance, she let out a cry and tumbled to the ground, losing a shoe, and scuffing her palms.

She whipped onto her back, heart racing, fully expecting to see a ferocious bear.

But there was nothing.

Only a gnarled root hooked over the tip of her dress shoe.

Relief washed over her as she retrieved her shoe and stood up, frowning at a tear in her nylons. She rubbed the dirt from her palms, squared her shoulders, and started toward the shed again. Tear or no tear, she was determined to find Ian.

She stopped short and blinked.

A tall figure was standing nearby in the shadows of a pitch pine, his profile blotting out some of the light from the presumed shed.

A chill surged up her spine and she spun around, intending to run.

"Wait—" a voice called out.

She hesitated, wobbling on her high heels.

He jogged toward her, closing the gap between them.

"Who are you?" she squeaked, arms outstretched to catch her balance. Was it too late to run?

"Name's Ian," he said, reaching her.

Her legs nearly gave way beneath her and she laughed, letting out a long exhale. "Oh, for Pete's sake," she said, lifting a hand to her heart and tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, laughing some more. "You scared the daylights out of me."

"I'm sorry," he said flatly, crossing his arms over his chest. She squinted to see his facial features in the shadows but was unable to see his eyes, only the contours.