The Attic

EXCERPT

Lily approached the portrait of her grandfather and stood studying it once more.

The bottom right-hand corner of the molded frame caught her eye this time. It was shinier than the rest of it, as though the dust had been rubbed off by a finger. Or was it just the way the sunlight was hitting it; a trick of the eye?

Heartbeat picking up a notch, she reached up and touched her fingertips to the shiny edge of the frame—pressing into it. A swish sounded and cold air moved over her right side. She pivoted toward the draft.

A tall opening had appeared in the wall, a twisted stairwell beyond it.

Heart beating wildly now, she stepped toward the unlit room.

This book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

An Original Publication of Rock of Ages Publishing House, a division of Prodigy Digital Solutions – prodigydigital.com

Copyright © 2008-2014 by Rachel Xu and Bekah Ferguson.

All rights reserved.

Cover artwork by Rachel Xu. Used with permission.

Designed and formatted by Robbie Ferguson.

All rights reserved. Without limiting the rights under copyrights reserved above, no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in or introduced into a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means (electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise), without the prior written permission of the copyright owner.

ISBN: 978-0-9782047-9-2

First self-published printing October, 2014.

Please visit the author's web site at www.bekahferguson.com

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2