Mark My Words

Over the next couple weeks, they each took it in turns to be watching over the locket and keeping it secret and safe. But the funny thing about the locket was the way that it made them feel when they were in possession of it. It was as though a countenance of darkness flooded whoever it was that guarded the locket, causing their personalities to sour and for their patience to wear thin and their tempers to run hot.

Even sweet Maryrose was affected horribly, her lovely hair turning an unnaturally angry shade of bright red. She snapped angrily at Marlene when she tentatively asked how she was doing and if the locket was bothering Maryrose the same as it had done herself. "What are you asking me, Mackinnon?" Maryrose growled, making Marlene and Regulus both stare at her with wide eyes at the shocking tone, "Are you suggesting because my boyfriend is Regulus that I'm dark, and checking if I still have the locket? Do I look cursed?"

Marlene shook her head, "That isn't what I'm saying at all..."

"Stop being so much like Sirius Black," Maryrose snapped.

"I'm not like Sirius Black..." muttered Marlene, leaving Maryrose and Regulus behind, annoyed.

And the tensions only grew - particularly when it was in possession of one of the Marauders, who were all in one room and all equally affected by the locket's proximity. It was after a particularly terrible argument between Sirius and Peter during one such evening that James called for a meeting of the Order members who were involved in guarding the locket.

"I can't stand this anymore," James said, angrily. "It's too bloody dark, it's ruining everything and everyone, mucking up relationships and —" he shook his head, then burst, "If we could just come up with some intelligent way to destory the manky thing we could get on with our lives! You'd think that between all of us we might be able to come up with at least ONE plausible way to destroy this piece of shite locket!! What are we? A bunch of first years, for Merlin's sake!"

Everyone looked quite uncomfortable at this outburst. Lily cleared her throat and carefully lifted the locket from about James's neck, setting it to levitating so that no one had to hold it. The moment she'd done it, he felt an immense amount of relief, as though a great weight had been taken off his chest and he looked about apologetically. "I'm sorry," he murmured, feeling embarrassed for having just insulting all of his friends. "This is exactly why we need to figure this thing out, though," he added, pointing at the locket. "I don't reckon carrying that thing about is healthy for any of us, it's so dark. No one should feel the way that thing makes you feel. It isn't right, and it's exactly what You Know Who would want, people feeling like rubbish."

Regulus was staring down at his lap and he murmured, "It doesn't affect me the same as you lot."

"Already too dark to feel the cursed locket?" Sirius asked, eyebrow raised suggestively. "It's no wonder that Voldemort's pet wouldn't be affected, is it?"

"Says the one who's as much of a heartless bastard with the locket as he is without it," Regulus snapped.

James waved his wand quickly, casting a silent sticking charm to the bottom of Sirius's boots to keep him in place before he leaped at Regulus, enraged by the words. "Hey! Enough!" James said, "I just finished apologizing for creating tension among us, don't you two start now, too. It's bad enough that Voldemort is tearing apart the world from the outside, we don't need to be fighting amongst ourselves as well. That's only helping him along with his ultimate goal, isn't it?" James looked between the others in the room, "It's certainly not helping us toward ours."

Lily nodded, "We need to be loving to each other."

"Yes, exactly," James said, nodding.

"Love's the greatest weapon we have," Marlene added, glancing at Emmaline, who nodded firmly.