The Pairing Off

Slughorn had a good spread, made by the Hogwarts elves. Little cakes and a pot of red tea that he bragged incessantly had been given him by an old student who now trained African dragons in Madagascar. "Very good tea in the south of Africa," Slughorn said, "Rooibos, very delicious." He smiled and offered Lily a spot of cream and she took it, stirring her cup with a little silver spoon he'd handed her. "Part of a set I've got," he informed her, "Made of top of the line Goblin silver, that is." 

James wondered how anybody could handle Slughorn's constant bragging. He tried to stay impressed and not to make any sarcastic comments, but it was quite a challenge. He stared down at his tea whenever possible, complimenting the taste of the tea and the cakes as he was prompted to by Slughorn, and answering all of the Potion Master's questions about what his future ambitions were.

"An auror!" Slughorn said, quite impressed. "Very dangerous job, that is... Merlin knows there's enough dark wizards to keep you in business..." He smiled and patted James's back. He looked over at Lily, "A good boy, you've got here, Miss. Evans. Keep you safe, this one will."

Lily smiled, "Yeah, he is a pretty good one." She rubbed James's arm.

James smiled, blushing.

"You ought to come along to our Slug Club meetings this year!" he said, joyfully, "We'll be planning one sometime soon - it's about that time of year already, Evans!" 

"It certainly is," Lily replied.

"You'll be coming, of course?" he pressed.

"Oh...yes, so long as it doesn't interfere with Headgirl duties," she nodded, "I look forward to it." She looked at James, "You'll come as well?"

James nodded, "Yeah, sure... so long as it doesn't interfere with... you know... our rounds."

Lily's cheeks turned slightly pink and she turned to Slughorn, "Yes, exactly."

Slughorn smiled, then stood up and got himself a glass of mead. "Have as much tea as you like!" he said, nodding, "I'm going to have a spot of mead..." he poured himself the glass full near to the rim and chuckled, "Bit heavy handed. All's well that pours well!" He sipped the glass and returned the bottle to his desktop. "I'm quite glad to hear you both have gotten together - you're a good pair. Headboy and Headgirl! Such bright minds - excellent skills... And the things you've been through, my boy. I heard about the experiences you had last year. Very impressive, Potter."

"Thanks," he murmured.

"You're both very bright! Very promising. You're sure to do amazing things in your futures." Slughron smiled broadly, settling back down across from them, getting a bit heady from the mead already. "It isn't... every generation... you see a coupling quite this strong!" He chuckled and absently scratched the round of his stomach.

James glanced at Lily, a slight smirk playing on his lips.

Lily smirked back, then turned to Slughorn. "Professor, perhaps it's time that we go and do our rounds?"

"Yes, yes, your rounds," Slughorn said, nodding, "How silly of me, thinking the Headboy and girl could spend an entire evening chattering with an old tosser..."

"You aren't a tosser, Professor," Lily assured him, and she stood up, walked over and kissed the top of his head affectionately. "We had a very lovely tea, thank you very much."

"Oh of course my dear, of course," he patted her arm, smiling warmly, and nodded at James, then struggled to get up from his chair and, a bit wobbly from all the mead, he shook James's hand. 

James caught him just before he teetered over and helped him over to a little couch by the fire. "Ah yes, my favorite couch," Slughorn declared. "Got it on a trip to Egypt to see an old student there - owns a lovely observatory for magical creatures... good friend of Newt Scamander's..." he muttered, the words starting to slur together.