TWO

Doctor Jeffery Hayden Monroe was paged to the front of the Emergency Department, reception if you must. He smirked when he arrived at the front desk to see his brother standing idly by with a small cloth wrapped around the palm of his hand. The nurse at the desk gave him the paperwork and ushered the two of them to a bay in the back.

"I'm not legally allowed to treat you, but how about you tell me what you did before I grab another physician," Jeffery crossed his arms over his chest and looked down at his mildly diaphoretic sibling.

"I cleaned the bench without gloves," James shrugged and unravelled the cloth that covered his skin.

"James Monroe," his brother scolded him, took his hand and inspected it. "I'm going to grab another doctor, don't move."

Jeffery disappeared from the bay with speed which caused the curtains to ripple in annoyance. James sat still on the bed where he had been placed but he desperately wanted to search the small square for what the drawers contained and what the equipment looked like. He took note of the bleach wipes on the counter that were used to clean the surfaces that had been contaminated by previous patients, the only way to truly kill off Clostridium difficile; for now.

The curtain pulled back and James' view went from the wall to the Doctor standing in the entryway, "Good evening Doctor Monroe, my name is Doctor Cullen, how can I help you?"

The man was attractive and that was plain to see no matter who was looking at him. God-like cheekbones complimented by a sharp jawline with golden eyes to match his golden hair, it could very well have been Adonis that stood before James and he wouldn't have been able to distinguish between the god and the human.

"I'm almost certain I have a chemical burn," James presented his hand, the material had begun to eat away at the top layer of his epidermis.

"Are you in any pain?" Doctor Cullen questioned as he took James' hand in his own to assess the skin and stage of the burn.

He shook his head, "None," and watched as the doctor stepped over to the cabinet to find a solution for the issue that presented.

Out came a dark brown bottle of what looked to be powder and a thick white bottle of liquid. The powder covered James' palm first, it neutralized the chemical doing the damage. Then the liquid washed away not only the powder and chemical combination but the dead skin as well. The last step in the cleansing process was a quick dousing with normal saline solution.

"I'd like for you to change your dressing once in the morning and once before you go to bed. Report any strange symptoms to me outside of the classic signs of healing which could include redness, swelling, itching, and more. Your brother should be able to identify if something is abnormal or not," Doctor Cullen produced a light smile as he wrapped James' hand in a simple gauze with a special adhesive between the burn and the material.

"Thank you for caring for me so quickly," James nodded as he took in all of the instructions.

"Of course," he responded and pulled out a small, white piece of paper, "Here's my card, call me if something goes wrong."

"Yes, I will," James assurred before he slipped off of the bed and proceeded out of the hospital with a bag of supplies in hand.