Chap 17: Death Comes Swiftly

Start from the beginning

When I finally open my eyes, Loki's regarding me with a curious expression so I say, "Okay, you got me. You played me like a stupid fiddle."

I pause, "You've won. Now run along and enjoy your gloating." I add, my eyes flashing, as I stand and stroll past him and into the kitchen.

Thor grunts when he sees me and takes a bite of a large chocolate chip cookie, "Is my brother being his usual ass-self?"

"Yup. Shocker." I retort with an eye roll.

"Here have some cookies, they'll cheer you up." Thor replies his smile stretching from ear to ear. "After all, they always cheer me up! Loki refuses to eat them, and well, we all know how grumpy he can be." He pitches his voice low, "I mean, I'm not saying if he'd eat something sweet, he'd be happier. But I'm not, not saying it."

I grin and reach into the bag of cookies and begin munching on one, as the chocolatey goodness fills my mouth and dazzles my tastebuds.

"I have no desire for your sugary garbage nonsense." Loki announces as he enters the room. "And I'm not grumpy." He adds defensively.

Thor chuckles good naturedly, "You ever heard of Grumpy the Earth cat?"

I stifle a giggle, "Oh My God! He and Grumpy cat would be perfect together!"

"I know right!" Thor laughs, "He'd be like, Oh look at me, I'm always disappointed by everything and now I have someone to be unhappy with all the time. What a pair we are, let's just be devious and miserable together and find ways to spoil everyone else's fun."

"Like two peas in a pod." I add laughing.

Loki points an eyebrow, "What are you schoolchildren prattling on about?"

"Oh I'm just talking to myself out-loud. Something you aught to be familiar with." Thor taunts, between mouthfuls of cookies.

"I don't talk to myself." Loki replies looking truly baffled.

"Yes, yes I'm sure you think you're being very sneaky when you do it." Thor replies sarcastically.
"Now, how about some breakfast brother dearest? You're much nicer when you've eaten."

Loki rolls his eyes and mumbles, "And you looked nicer, before you started eating."

"Actually, the women of Earth tell me I've never looked better." Thor retorts haughtily.

Loki balks, "Are you insane? You've never looked worse!" Then he smirks, "Although I can't say I haven't been enjoying it just a bit."

"Oh, please any woman would pick me over you, any day."

Loki freezes and his shoulders tense, and immediately Thor begins apologizing. "I'm sorry brother, that was needlessly cruel. I went too far."

Loki ignores him and slides his piercing gaze to me, "Tell him he's wrong Kamilla."

I balk, "Wha- Me? I don't want to be saddled with deciding which of you is better looking. If that's what you-"

Loki sighs wearily, before pinching the bridge of his nose looking exasperated. "Tell him that he has looked better, and that he needs to take better care of himself."

I swallow feeling relieved, then glance at Thor; his blue eyes are wide and he looks unusually vulnerable and fragile. I hesitate, trying to be gentle with what I'm about to say next, "Well....Your mother did suggest that you eat a salad. And it wouldn't hurt to exercise. "

Thor stiffens and his eyes go wide.
"But that doesn't mean you don't look good." I add "You look handsome no matter what size you are! I'm just concerned about your diet, you can't keep eating like this forever. You need some sort of nutrition in your diet."