"Doesn't digging into each other's lives go against your rule?" I had to make sure he was clear what this would mean.

For the first time since we've been there in front of my locker, his smile faltered. I wanted to take back the question and bring his face back to full brightness. "You already know about my mom. There's nothing else worth hiding," he said, running a hand through his hair. "So, you in? Ready to really start selling this couple shit?"

The smile was back. How could I say no?

* * *

"A study date?" Bee asked. She was laid out across the foot of my bed on her stomach, tapping away at her phone. Her mom finally let her out of the house, mostly because she realized keeping Bee inside for a week would be more of a punishment for her than her daughter.

I pulled off the shirt I had on, tossing into the pile of other discarded outfit choices. When Nolan suggested that we hang out yesterday, I didn't think we'd be doing it so soon. Every piece of clothing I owned suddenly looked old and dingy and nothing I wanted Nolan to see me in.

"Yeah. That's what I'm calling it to avoid complications," I told her, searching the depths of my closet for something remotely cute.

She giggled at her phone before looking up at me. "The only complication is that you're wearing a shirt that says taco Tuesday." She sat up, folding her legs like a pretzel. The shirt was immediately added to the pile. "Seriously though, what do you mean by complications?"

"I like Nolan. That's the complication," I said, slipping on a dress that showed of way more cleavage than I was comfortable with. "And calling it anything other than a study date would lead to me being confused about what's real and what's fake."

"You make it sound like going out with your crush is the worst thing in the world."

"It is if your crush doesn't like you back," I retorted.

"How do you know he doesn't like you?"

I'm sure I looked at my best friend like she just grew a second head. "He's Nolan. The only things he likes are black clothing and cookies with blue m&m's."

I stepped into a unicorn onesie I got two years ago and flopped down, stomach first, onto my bed. "I have nothing to wear for tonight."

Bee rubbed my back soothingly. "Aw, babes. There's this really magical place called the mall where you can buy pretty date—I mean study date—outfits."

I was about to remind her of my financial problems when I remembered my stash. It was meant to go towards new art supplies, but buying a few new things for my wardrobe wouldn't hurt.

* * *

The mall was pretty packed since most stores started their black Friday sales way before Friday. It was both a blessing and curse. With the sales I wouldn't spend my entire art supply budget, but these lines worried me. I only had three hours to find an outfit and get back home and make myself look presentable.

"What about this?" Bee held up lavender top that looked more her style than mine. I shook my head. "You're being too picky for what you claim is just a study date." She huffed, counting to finger through the clothes on the racks.

She's right. I was over thinking things. It was just—

"Nolan?"

"What?" Bee nodded to window that gave us a view of the crowded walkway between shops. Just outside was Nolan. What was even more shocking than Nolan in a mall was that he was Nick.

"I thought they hated each other," Bee said. "Wasn't Nick trying to sleep with you for a bet?"

"No. That was a rumor." At least that's what Nick told me when I asked him about it. He said Tyler started it and since it was Tyler who thought taping condoms to my locker was funny, I believed him.

"I think they're coming in here," Bee whispered.

The rack of shirts captured my attention with they're colorful designs and half off tags. Hopefully that's what Nolan thought when he saw me, that I was casually shopping and not freaking out about our date. Study date. Where the textbooks were each other.

"Jade?" Nick called out, his voice cheerful. "I thought that was you."

When I looked up I caught Nolan glaring at him. Not in his normal i-hate-everyone-just-because way. He hated Nick and he had reason, whatever it was.

"Hey." I smiled and tried to act normal. "What are you doing here? Did you two kiss and make up?" I felt like I was talking too much. Was I possessed by Gia?

"No." Nolan said, leaving no room for interpretation. "I was minding my business when he started following me."

Nick snorted. "Dude was looking lost so I helped him pick something out for your date tonight." He grinned, clearly amused by the homicidal look in Nolan's eyes.

"Really?" Bee dragged the word out, a smile creeping across her lips as she glanced down at the shopping bag in Nolan's hand.

Nolan's eyes snapped to Bee, then shifted to me. "No. That's not was I was doing." He rake his hand through his golden hair, something I noticed he did whenever the topic was getting too personal.

Was Nick telling the truth? Was Nolan putting as much thought into this whole date thing as I was? I stopped myself before my mind spiraled too far down the rabbit hole of over thinking.

"Me too," I blurted, my brain betraying me. Quickly, I added, "I wanted to look nice since it is our three month anniversary."

Nolan relaxed a little. He seemed more comfortable playing the role of my boyfriend if I played along too.

"Three months?" Nick echoed. He slapped Nolan on the back like a proud father. "Congrats, bro. Hope this one works out better than the last."

I was sure I shared Nolan's homicidal expression as we both glared at Nick. Was he always such a dick?

Picking up on the awkwardness, Bee coughed. "Anyway. There's more shopping to do and the lines are long. So..." She hooked her arm with mine and started to pull me away.

I stopped, getting to my tiptoes and planting a kiss on Nolan's cheek. "See you tonight." I smiled and let Bee drag me away. Making a point to ignore Nick as said bye to me.