Katzenjammer

After helping those two boys, I scurried away for food. There really was nowhere to eat in the city by the airport, and I must've walked for twenty minutes before stumbling over an actual restaurant. It was a homey little place, reminiscent of McDonald's in L.A., but covered in Japanese posters and writing. Some English song was playing in the background.

I had no money to buy food, so I sat down at a booth and watched the patrons for an easy mark. There were all sorts of people here. Tall, old, short, swanky. There even tall kids with wildly colorful hair. Those guys were tall, and big, like, absolutely massive. At the sight of them, something in the back of my brain ping-ed.

Oh no. Oh god no. There's three of them.

I'm not ready yet. I still don't know how to break the news to people. Hey, just so you're aware, your friend? Yeah, he's here, but he doesn't remember you, doesn't know you, and is also probably leaving in a few weeks. Sorry!

God, I hate this. I should've just stayed in America.

Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, the colorful kids start walking towards me. None of them noticed that the booth was taken, as per usual, but if I left now, they might actually notice me.

As they approached my booth, I could hear some of their conversation.

"Aka-chin, don't worry about it," the purple-haired teen, the tallest of the bunch, drawled, "Kise-chin was probably just ultra tired." Kise? He must also know these people. Did he tell them about me? Of course he did. Why wouldn't he? Fuck. Why didn't I think about that?

The green-haired one hummed in agreement. "Use your logic. Kuroko is too stubborn to stay away for this long." Oh god, they are talking about me.

"I know," the red-headed one sighed. Aka-chin. Was he Aka-chin? For his red hair? It must be a nickname, but it doesn't feel quite right. "I just... want to believe." He sounds in pain. Because of me.

The trio finally arrived at my booth and slid in. To make room, I pushed myself against the wall and prayed that they would eat quickly. The green-haired guy was sitting right next to me, while the other two sat across the table.

"I understand how you feel," the green-haired one muttered. Just the quiet tremor in his voice was almost enough to make me burst. I wanted to say something, anything. But what could I say? I should just wait to meet up with Ash. They've always been the more rational one. Or at least, the more socially put-together.

"Let's order our food now," Aka-chin said decisively. He'd banished all wavers from his voice, and pushed himself into a straighter, more poised position. "No good things happen to those who wait."

"Aka-chin, can you spot me?" the purple-haired one rested his head on the table and gave Aka-chin full-blown puppy-eyes. "I left my wallet at Muro-chin's house."

"That's a full hour flight! How could you forget?" the green-haired one cried. The purple-haired on just mullishly whined.

"Of course, I-" Aka-chin's words stuttered as he made direct eye-contact with me. Shit. So much for not being noticed. Maybe if I stay still enough, Aka-chin would think he's seeing things. I've done it before. When random kids just pop up out of nowhere, they tend to jump to ghosts before unawareness.

The other two took note of their friend's sudden freeze, and searched the restaurant for what could be the cause. The green-one, ever the smarter, followed Aka-chin's gaze and looked straight at me.

"Oh!" He nearly jumped out of his seat. "When did you get here?!"

"I was here the whole time," I said, mostly out of reflex. The weight of their collective gawking prickled uncomfortably on the back of my neck.